We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended game reserves in only 4 days

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
recommended game reserves in only 4 days

My husband and I have 4 days to explore game reserve and/or parks near Port Elizabeth. Would you recommend a private reserve or a national park, staying in one place for 4 days or splitting the time up between 2 parks? We will be there mid December and would like rustic but comfortable accommodations and good food. Also, any recommendations for guides would be appreciated.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: recommended game reserves in only 4 days

If you want the best game viewing experience, I would definitely recommend a private game reserve. They will be quite a bit more expensive than visiting Addo but if you do have the budget, I think it is well worth the extra expense.

If you visit one of the bigger private reserves like Shamwari or Kwandwe then you could easily spend your 4 days in one place and although both these properties are in the upper price range, Kwandwe offers a stay 4 pay three special and during our low season, Shamwari also offers some special deals.

Some of the smaller reserves are also great and are quite a bit cheaper. I really like Kariega. You may find yourself driving the same areas if you spend your full 4 days at one of these and if this does not apeal to you, you could then either split your time between two smaller private reserves or one private reserve and Addo.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommended game reserves in only 4 days

Mark's advice says it all. Maybe Amakhala private reserve would work as another private reserve option too. I'm adding only that the private reserves have their own staff on site - no Guide needed. In Addo, you would drive yourself some of the time, perhaps join one of the game drives conducted by Rangers on staff at Addo. An extra charge, of course - but it is quite reasonable.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommended game reserves in only 4 days

Scotia was amazing for me...to sit so close watching lions, lots of other animals, great food, lovely accomodation, great guide, night drive was also great...I will be going back!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: recommended game reserves in only 4 days

Depends on your budget. If it is unlimited, I would probably suggest 4 nights at Kwandwe, but that can be quite pricey, especially if they haven't got a stay 4 pay 3 special on. Other top notch game reserves are Shamwari and Gorah.

Addo Elephant National Park is great and reasonably priced. Accommodations are nice, but not brilliant. Food probably leans more towards okay than good. But you might want to spend 2 nights here and 2 nights somewhere else to cut costs.

Mid-range game reserves include Amakhala (inc Bukela), Lalibela (inc Kichaka), Pumba and Kariega.

Cheaper private game reserves are Schotia and some of the camps on Amakhala.

5. Re: recommended game reserves in only 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 00:15