We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Willenhall, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

We are on a PO cruise and there are 2 day trips. One to Kariega or the other to Pumba game reserve. Can any one recommend one of these?

Sandra

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Hi Sandra,

Neither of these two reserves will disappoint!

I prefer Pumba because I like the more dense vegetation and more natural "African bush" feel, but Kariega's more open savanna tends to be better for game viewing, IMO. Both are good reserves.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 17:27
Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

We thought that Kariega was great. They have a special of R1980 per person per night as part of their partnership with Open Africa Safaris. Check it out here: http://openafrica.org/safaris/about/specials.

Open Africa is a not-for-profit company under the patronage of Nelson Mandela, with a 15 year track record of sustaining Africa through travel route development and management. Open Africa Safaris operates with Open Africa to support African wildlife conservation and sustainable rural development in partnership with authentic big 5 private game reserves & safari lodges.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Hi Capetown021,

Welcome back to the forums, after an absence of two years.

It might be worth your knowing that the forums are not here for advertising, whether it be self-advertising or promotion of this type, whether for a supposedly legitimate non-profit organisation or not.

You've simply posted the same post on another thread, but simply changing the name of the game reserve you're promoting. And I'll be simply copying this message to the thread as well.

Kindly do not be surprised when your post is removed.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 12:01
Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Thanks so much BushkidO.

I do think that Kariega is great. I also think that their deal via Open Africa is worth knowing about. I added this post to both threads as they are both relevant (and am copying my response to both threads too).

That said, I also appreciate your comments about these forums not being for promotion. It would be great if you did take the time to look at what Open Africa is doing. You'd see that it is a legitimate and worthwhile non-profit.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

I also think that Kariega and Pumba and Amakhala are all great. I've worked at or with all of them in the past, and all are deserving of patronage.

None of them are non-profit organisations.

There are hundreds of non-profit organisations in this country, many of them claiming patronage by Nelson Mandela to justify their existence. The very existence of profitable organisations ensures the continued survival of the non-profits. If the non-profits were able to advertise to so-called services to the disadvantage of the profit making organisations, there'd be no money to keep the non-profits going, and the economy would grind to a sudden halt. It's not surprising that 7% of South Africans have to support the other 93%.

By advertising your specials on the forums, even providing prices, you are breaking trhe rules.

Either stick to the rules or stay off the forum.

Btw, it's been close to 3 years, hasn't it!

Willenhall, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Thank you. The trips on the ship we are on are fully booked. Is it possible to do it ourselves from the dock/port. Or will it be too far.

Sandra

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Hi Sandra

They are all within a few hours drive from the port, that said it would be about 2-3hrs drive which will give you time to return safely back to the port. It will be however a early morning start and maybe a late return.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

Hi Sandra,

Sorry to have hijacked your post a bit.

There are a number of operators who might offer something from the port. It's been a while since I've been in PE, and I could dig up some good operators I used to work with there.

A lot will depend on your timings (arrival and departure times in port).

Possibly Schotia day trip might be a good option, or Amakhala. Both should be good alternatives (I assume you're docking in Port Elizabeth). AQ day trip to Addo will be terrific.

If you bump me by PM on Monday, I'll dig out some names down there of trustworthy folk. Maybe you could put a group together.

9. Re: Kariega or Pumba Game Reseve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:20