We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derry, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

Hi folks

I am going on honeymoon to South Africa in September 2013, and part of our trip is 3 nights at the Pumba Game Reserve. Originally we had been quoted €200 for private return transfers from Port Elizabeth airport to the game reserve, however, now that has increased to €330 (approximately 3940 South African Rand). This seems pretty expensive to me, therefore, our tour operator said the other option is to rent a car for 3 days with AVIS which comes to around €110 and drive there and back to the game reserve ourselves.

This option is appealing due to the cost savings, however, I am slightly apprehensive because I have never driven in South Africa before. I realise they drive on the same side of the road as we do in Ireland (left hand side), however, I was wondering would anyone be able to tell me if it is a difficult drive, ie, lots of switching lanes, very fast traffic etc. Also, would it be a safe drive? I have heard that driving in South Africa can be dangerous at times (apologies as this is a point you may have heard many times and might not be true).

Any feedback or advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

Port Elizabeth to Pumba (Msenghe or water lodge) is about 2.5 hrs drive... Watch the speed limits.... Cameras etc...

Easy drive good road , same side as Irl/ Uk. You park in secure car park at Pumba security arrivals and game rangers collect you and bring you to the Lodges... It's fantastic, 5star food, service , accommodation.

Enjoy seeing the White Lions and the growing cubs.

We were there 4 days in Feb.

Enoy

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

We were in Pumba, Msenghe game reserve in Feb, fantastic, you will love it and I am sure the highlight of your visit. We drove from Capetown via Oudtshoorn, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay onto Msenghe.

Pumba to Port Elizabeth(PE) is approx 2 and half hours, and an easy drive, good road, but watch the speed limits, cameras and checkpoints. Your GPS will alert you.

Pick the exact Co-ords from Pumba , Msenghe web site and punch them in. Should come up at approx 110 Kms from Msenghe to PE.

You will park at Security Area of Pumba on arrival and the transfers game Ranger will collect you and transport you (20mins) to your Lodge. Probably see some of the Big 5 on way ....

It's fab place about 20,000 acres, Rhinos, many Warthogs and the White Lions and growing cubs a highlight. Enjoy the top food, accm and friendly Staff.

SaharaGem

UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

Just returned from 2 weeks in amazing South Africa including 3 nights in Pumba. Picked a car up at PE airport and stayed the first night in PE itself before driving to Pumba. It is easy. Just follow the signs for Grahamstown on the N2. Once out of PE it is so quiet. Keep your eyes peeled for the Pumba signs they are at the turn off for Alicedale. You will have no problems and once there, park your car up and forget it !!

14. Re: Drive from Port Elizabeth airport to Pumba Game Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Elizabeth