We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basing a visit in Centurion

Tennessee
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Basing a visit in Centurion

To anyone familiar with the attractions in Gauteng, would you consider Centurion to be a good place to base yourself while visiting there? Probably for 2 or 3 days.

Most likely to visit sites such as Voortrekker monument, Union Buildings, Paul Kruger house, Lesedi village.

Are there some good restaurants nearby?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basing a visit in Centurion

Centurion is an excellent place to base yourself. There are a number of good hotels and many guesthouses in the area.

Good restaurants are to be found in the Centurion Mall. Brooklyn Mall and Menlyn Mall, as well as Moyo in the Fountains Valley (between Centurion and Pretoria), the Groenkloof Centre, and probably 20 or so good ones surrounding Centurion itself, catering for every taste. You probably have 100 good restaurants in a 10km radius and 50 in a 3km radius. It's a culinary delight just browsing them.

Access to the main freeways is excellent, and traffic is generally mild and well-behaved (far better than Joburg). You can easily get to all the places you mentioned, including the Cullinan Diamond Mine, Lesedi, Cradle of Humankind, Lanseria and ORT airports, etc. Paul Kruger House is a little disappointing in my view, but a trip to the Voortrekker Monument is extremely worthwhile (to make the most of it, allow about 3 hours, and buy a book explaining the various friezes and symbolism - a cursory tour just doesn't do it real justice - it probably gives the best insight into one the biggest cultural influences in SA, and few can understand the history of SA without an understanding of the Great Trek).

The high-speed Gautrain gives you access from Centurion to Sandton in about 30 mins or so, and Rosebank in about 35 minutes.

Brilliant place to base yourself!

Edited: 08 April 2012, 13:30
Tennessee
Level Contributor
10,805 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basing a visit in Centurion

Thanks Bushkido. I thought it looked like a good location, but now sounds like it exceeds my first impressions.

How much worthwhile is a stop at Melrose House?

3. Re: Basing a visit in Centurion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2017, 23:17