We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week-end Getaway

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Week-end Getaway

Hi,

My husband and I have recently temporarily relocated to South Africa for work and visiting family, etc. We have been before and visited Cape Town, Durbs and Port Elizabeth. While we are here we are looking to take a couple of week-end trips away from the hustle and bustle of Gauteng and do some exploring, just wondering if anyone could make some suggestions??

Ideally we are looking for places within around 3 hours drive of Jo'burg. Any suggestions would be gratefully received?

Thanks

:)

9 replies to this topic
Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week-end Getaway

A safari in the Waterberg - so Welgevonden or Entabeni Game Reserve could be an option, or self-driving around Pilanesberg too.

You can also get down to the northern Drakensberg (but this would be a longer drive, more like 4.5 hours) but definately worth it!

I am sure you will be inundated with other suggestions too!

Tracey, Director - Travel Butlers

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week-end Getaway

There was a thread on the Jhb forum in May 2011: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway from Johannesburg, that may give you some more ideas. Sorry I can't post the link - I'm posting via a new phone I haven't learned how to use optimally.

Also have a look at what is available around Cullinan - ?Dinokeng Route

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week-end Getaway

Also look at Limpopo: (1) Tzaneen, Agatha, Magoebaskloof, Haenertsberg. On reflection this would be my first choice and I don't think it's much more than 3 hours away.

(2) The latest Getaway magazine (the one with a rhino on the cover) has a nice feature on an alternative route to the N1 through the Waterberg that may throw up some further ideas.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week-end Getaway

Thank you guys, you've given me quite a few ideas and certainly look forward to trying a few of them while we're here!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week-end Getaway

Dullstroom is also an excellent place for a getaway

www.dullstroom.biz/…

If you're interested in birds, there is also this, in dullstroom:

http://birdsofprey.co.za/

Enjoy

Gavin

Owner: Serval Tours & Transfers

Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week-end Getaway

My vote also goes to the Tzaneen, Agatha area - we also had a short stint (3 years) with work in J'burg and apart from the Kruger this became our favourite weekend destination. Auntie thank you for reminding me about

Getaway magazine - I used to subscribe but forgot a couple of years ago- so your reminder made me realise how much I miss it, have resubscribed again today to arrange for it to wing its way every month to Paris

Hekpoort, Gauteng
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Week-end Getaway

Magaliesberg area is 1 hour from JHB and is steeped in history and great places to visit and keep you amused. The weather is also a little warmer there

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Week-end Getaway

Clarens in Free State great getaway too.

A little out there, but you can hop on a flight to Maputo and experience the Portuguese influence on the country and lively nightlife.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Week-end Getaway

Hello,

Clarens in the Free State is a lovely spot to spend a weekend. Beautiful scenery of the mountains in Lesotho, nice accommodation, bijoux shops and great places to eat.

Reply to: Week-end Getaway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted