We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

Hello,

I'm planning my South African trip for his November.

We are hesitating between those two options:

(a) 4 days in Johannesburg

(b) 2 days in Johannesburg and 2 days in Pretoria.

The 5th day in the morning, we will be picked up for a safari tour.

We are very chill, and just want to relax, wander and do some visits. I was thinking that Pretoria was probably safer (therefore, easier to chill & wander). But it looks like Joburg has much more to offer.

What would you recommend?

Kind regards,

Cindy P.

Officewanderlust.com

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Boma Tours and Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Bushward Safaris
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Walking With Lions
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Other Outdoor Activities
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

It is really easy to get from the one to the other so rather than changing half way through, I would suggest basing yourself at one and doing day trips. Personally, I would choose Johannesburg but I live there and am a bit biased :)

Safety is not a major concern if you stick to touristy areas and take basic precautions.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

Hi Cindy

Depending on where you stay in JHB you're equally as safe as Pretoria. In my opinion it would be better to spend all 4 days in Johannesburg....

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

I don't think Pretoria has any more or less scope for wandering around than Jhb. In either city you have to do your wandering around fairly limited areas. Don't give Pretoria a miss altogether though: Jhb is by no means ugly but Pta is better-looking. I must say too that to me it does feel a bit more chilled than Jhb - if you'll pardon the paradox, the extra two degrees of warmth seem to make quite a difference. It has its own vibe that in many ways is quite different from Jhb.

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedbacks! I will follow your advises and stay in JHB and as you write, MakiGirl, distances aren't that far, so I will be able to visit Pretoria as well.

I am staying at Curiocity Backpackers (Maboneng) the first 2 nights, I hope it is a nice district to chill and wander.

Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
5. Re: Johannesburg vs. Pretoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 17:18