We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

My daughter will be travelling to SA in Feb./March and helping to re-build a school on the outskirts of Soweto as part of her studies.

There has been a lot of rain lately. Can anyone tell me what kind of clothing to take, especially into March, i.e. how cold does it get at that time of year?

A friend said she should take some protection again the rain but should she take winter things as well?

Thanks for any feedback

Lizby

Mentioned in this post
Soweto
Soweto
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
258 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

Hi Lizby,

It is mid summer in SA, so although there is a lot of rain it does not get too cold, might drop to 16` at night if a cold front comes through.

Your daughter will rather need a good range of light summer clothes as it can get very hot up to 28` and maybe a track suit and jersey for the evenings and early mornings. Yes rain protestion is a good idea.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

Thanks for your replies. I found both of them very useful and was grateful for posting comments so soon. Yesterday went to her student flat and was able to pass the comments on.

Someone else who is going was asking whether it w'd be necessary to take Wellies along, cause they take up so much space. Didn't really know what answer to give that guy.

They're all leaving tomorrow a.m.

Regards

Lizby

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

Hi

Maybe you can find some useful weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen.com

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

In answer to your question about wellies, even too late - the only reason they would need wellies is if they are standing in mud (assuming it rains) and assume they may be if they are building a school.

However, it hasn't rained in Johannesburg for a few days - actually, some parts did get thunderstorms last night! But today it's pretty hot and if we get rain, it's usually late afternoon into the evening, so it probably won't affect your daughter if she is working.

In March it's does cool down a little as we are going into autumn but it still won't be cold enough for winter woolies.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

Thanks for all the useful information posted in answer to my question.

My daughter said they saw some rainclouds in the direction of Jo'burg but so far, it hasn't rained where they are. Apart from the fact that they had a good flight, I haven't had much other information.

However, as a parent of a traveller I know that, generally speaking, this means that all is going well. Usually the contact comes when they can't get a flight somewhere or the money is running out.

My daughter has a lot of coton clothing and a track suit too, so I think she'll be OK.

Regards

Lizby

6. Re: Need info urgently ! Weather Feb./March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 14:18