We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg airport to train station

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Johannesburg airport to train station

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are flying to Johannesburg in October and getting the train down to Cape Town at 8am the next morning. We're backpacking so are on a serious budget, and are wondering what's best to do bearing in mind 1.) where to stay that is inexpensive near the station and 2.) how to get around - we've heard that we should pretty much avoid the metro system but figure that taxis will be expensive, and can't seem to find any hostels near the station that will do free/cheap airport pick ups.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

TVG
Pretoria
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

Hi there,

The Johannesburg train station is in an area that can only be described as "inner city". I would not expect backpacker establishments near the Train Station.

Your best bet would be to pay for a transfer to the station or book at a place that is on the Metro bus route and take the bus into the city centre and then walk the few blocks to the station - however the first option would be money well spent. (In general coming from the UK you will find South African prices quite cheap and should not expect to pay a fortune for the transfer.)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
227 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

HI von63

Boy are you looking for trouble wanting to stay near the Jhbg central train station. Find yourselves a b and b or guest house in any part of Jhbg not too far from the city center eg Parktown, and then next morning arrange for a taxi to pick you up at 7.00 - 7.15am and to drop you as close to your train platform as possible.

With a back pack to worry about you have very little option other than to take reliable private taxis. And any figure qouted you can divide at the moment by 16 to get pounds - by October probably 20 rand to the pound the way the rand is going, although you never can tell. But it will NOT cost you London taxi prices.

Enjoy your stay,

H

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

I'd also suggest contacting whoever is arranging your train to CT (Premier Class, Shosholoza, Blue train?) and ask them about transfers to the station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I've found a backpackers place in Parktown North which says they can pick us up from the airport for 200R and then drop us at the station the next morning for 80R - I'm thinking this might be a good option?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
227 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

Sounds like an absolute bargain to me - go for it. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Have a great stay in South Africa.

H

6. Re: Johannesburg airport to train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg