We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

A lot can be said for a nice clean terminal building.

It is all about what goes on inside.

From the arrival at customs it is a disaster , attitudes and chips on shoulders is very visible.

Then it is about the shopping experiance , what a mess.

Pricing is more than double to what u can purchase in the town centres etc. Staffing have no clue as to what to do .

Out of 15 shops visited not one could inform me of the current exchange rate for example.

Not all items priced and then the same poor customer service which i have come to see in my business travels to South Africa.

All this and they get the world cup in 2010

No time to fix as it is embeded into the attitude.

I am in the travel industry and rate this airport one of the worst in the world.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Hi Craig

Did you not notice that ORT as well as Cape Town and Durban airports are all in the state of being totally reconstructed for the World Cup. During this period it is to be expected that there will be issues but the end product willl be much improved.

Just as a point of interest why should airport shop prices be less than town centre shops. Anywhere in the world airport space rents are hugely higher than city centre costs, far outweighing any minor savings in VAT.

I travel through ORT international quite frequently - I transited through there last week on the way to and from Nairobi. I also travel through ORT Domestic terminal a few times every month. I have found the immigration staff, in general (I normally have very little to do with customs) to be polite and courteous and to respond well to a polite smile, a "how are you" and helpfully having all of your documents ready. In general they are on a par with freindliness and efficiency with many in Europe and better than most in the USA.

I think that the chip may actually be on a different shoulder!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
980 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Well Craig, if you are in the Travel Industry, I have no idea which Countries you are visiting.

Have you ever been to Malpensa Airport in Milan...if not, please go.

I am so pleased you are not involved with any travel arrangements for myself or anyone I know.

First of all, your spelling as well as grammar is absolutely atrocious (you seem pretty good at criticising, so take some back) and with a negative attitude like yours I would not want to be within inches of you.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Have you ever been a non-European visitor in Heathrow? You can queue for an hour or more.

Have you bought coffee in Heathrow? Probably came in a paper cup.

Have you ever received a smile from anyone serving you at Heathrow?

South Africa does not need travel agents like you.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,924 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Craig - you could change the title to "LHR", and it would make more sense.

Airports shops charge more than high streets. Where have you shopped before?

And why should shop staff know the exchange rate. You pay by credit card or Rand. Do you get out much?

I shudder to think how you advise clients if this is how you "fact find". Are you saying this is your first trip to SA and you are expecting to charge clients money to arrange trips?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Apologies for being rude. I was in a bad mood yesterday.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

I was recently at Heathrow and bought a few items at the Airport.

I did ask the Assistants if they knew the exchange rate on that particular day so that I could get an idea of the cost in Rands.

Craig, they had no idea what the exchange rate was Sterling to Rands. Some said "dunno" and others looked it up on their computer.

Suggest you do a bit more travelling as you clearly haven't been around.

johannesburg
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Craig, try reading the comments about Charles de Gaulle. We are transferring through there in April and dreading every minute of it and that is just by reading the comments on Trip Advisor. Take a look for yourself. I am far more anxious about CDG than about ORT. Have you looked at how you treated the very people you cam into contact with. Maybe it is YOUR attitude that needs to be changed!!!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Hopefully, just another "one whinge wonder" who will disappear along with his baggage.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
994 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Agree with Cheryl about Charles De Gaulle - what a terrible place and terrible staff. I had cause to be there to get to Edinburgh - not knowing where I was going, I approached a lady at a desk and her conversation with a colleague was much more important than to assist me. I was greeted with a hand to my face as if I was dismissed. When I was eventually looked at - not 'how can I help you' - just looked at, I was poo poo'd to another area - hadn't a clue what I was to do - rude, rude rude!

Customs at OR Tambi - and that has been the corret

name of our airport for a couple of years now - not Jan Smuts, not Johannesburg Airport - it's OR Tambo and we are proud of its name - Customs - I never had cause to have dealings with Customs officials as such so can't say what they are like. But overall most staff - you give them a smile and generally you will get one back. Admittedly, one or two on checking in (not airline staff but those who you see before you get to actually checking in think they are more important than they actually are) but generally, South Africans are very friendly people. Are you sure you are not getting confused with the at London Heathrow??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
994 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: or tambo airport . jhb int airport - jan smuts airport

Sorry - my fingers went awry - I meant to say 'OR Tambo - that has been the correct name for a couple of years now...'