We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Hi all,

just looking for a word of quick advice from anybody who may have been in this situation or something similar (maybve this'll help folks for the World cup next year too): I'm heading to a rugby game at Ellis Park stadium in the near future, the game will finish reasonably late at night so it'll be dark. On coming out of the game I'll need to head north-west to Melville, where my hotel is. So my question is - is it safe to walk the 3-4miles to Melville? This would obviously involve a route through the city centre and/or Hillbrow which may or may not be safe depending on what you read. I'm assuming that public transport/taxis will be out the window seeing as there'll be tens of thousands of others exiting the stadium at the same time.

Oh, and FYI I havent been to J'Burg before.

Thanks in advance to any replies! :)

Cheers,

Brian

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

I would say that it is not safe to walk in Johannesburg at night, particularly around the stadium, however the WC may be different because of the sheer numbers of commuters. They are planning to have shuttles to and frowing from the stadiums so I think you will have transport to the various areas. They tried this with the Lions vs Sa matches and there were some hiccups, but I am sure these will be ironed out before then.

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
395 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Simply no do not walk from ellis park to melville. Get your hotel to book you a transfer. Organise a pick up point (clearly) and take a contact number for the driver in case either of you are unable to find each other again.

We go to the rugby a lot at Ellis Park and I would not even consider walking around that area.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Taxis should be available, as most locals will be going to the match with their own transport. I would take a taxi to the game as well, even though it is daytime.

Your taxi should be pre-organized, preferably by the hotel.

Another option it to make friends with people at the game and cadge a lift back with them to your hotel.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Definitely do not walk at night. Ellis Park is not in the greatest area. Rather have a taxi come pick you up.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

I really think getting a lift from someone else there is a good option. Just ask the guys sitting around you, if it is safe to walk back to Melville, and I guarantee you will be innudated with offers for lifts.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

I wouldn't rely on lifts from others as you may come unstuck at the time of departure. Rather arrange the lift beforehand with the b&B or taxi or nearer the time look in to the shuttle service. SA and Fifa are aware of the transport problem and I am sure they are addressing it.

Scotland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Cheers for all the advice so far guys, sounds like you all know what you're talking about, very much appreciated :)

johannesburg
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

NO, NO, NO.. not a good idea. All the stadiums have park and ride facilities which are very safe the one, you can use will be at teh University of the witwatersrand (aka Wits park and ride on Empire road). This is not far from Melville, i suggest you use this facility or get a cab, not local cab from the stadium. I prefer the Park and ride myself as congestion around the stadium will be great. The park and ride acility is for all ticket holders and FREE. It runs every 10 minutes. From the Park and ride you can easily get a taxi home, just preaarange one if you really worried to take you back to Melville which is less than 7 minutes away.

But please do not walk the distance. Not advisable at all.

We dont advise people walk long distances at night in and around the city centre, it really isnt safe or smart.

Good luck, Be blessed.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

I know I am repeating what has been said above, but I also need to re-iterate, do not even think about walking!

South Africa
Level Contributor
122 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking at Night - Routes from Stadium

Have to agree with all the above. Ellis Park is not Sandton.

Don't walk, organise a shuttle.