We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

Miami
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

Hola all...I will be renting a car for my stay in JOH during the world cup. (Sandton)

Really looking forward to the trip and watching Honduras play but I am starting to feel a little nervous about driving on the Right Hand Side instead of the left. Any tips?...I actually experienced a little of this once in the Bahamas but I feel that this is probably going to be the most stressful part of my stay.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

Hola, CheleMiami. Actually you'll be driving on the left hand side of the road (I think you meant your position in the car when you say 'driving on the Right Hand Side instead of the left'). It's not that bad really and you tend to adapt quickly---so don't let that stress you out. I usually drive thinking the mantra "Stay Left, Stay Left." And, as I mentioned about driving to Nelspruit, minimize any night driving.

Miami
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

gracias Steve......Stay Left...Stay left.......!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

De nada, CheleMiami. South Africa is great. I know you'll have a terrific time there.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

Once you are on the road driving with the traffic its not that bad. It gets tricky at intersections where you have to concentrate, especially at the beginning.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

At intersections, you tend to follow the car in front of you. The only time I found it tricky was when there were no cars around.

One thing, if you are used to only driving automatics, make sure you order one, as most cars in South Africa are manual.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

Hola Chele,

Como estas? Mira, as Steve said, stay on the left. When you turn right, stay left, watch for the STOP sign on the left, very important. All exits is on the highway is on the left.I adapted quickly, so hopefully you will adapt. Driving in SA was one of my best experience in SA. Sur Africa es bellisimo. Disfruta tu viaje. Drive carefully.

7. Re: Driving on the right hand side....nervous...any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 05:17