We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg Trip Report - week of 5 February

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg Trip Report - week of 5 February

Used Airport Link for transfer from OR Tambo International to Blairgowrie and back, for R365. Punctual and very friendly service.

see: http://www.airportlink.co.za

You can contact me for any further information.

Stayed with friends in Blairgowrie for a week. During this time went to Pilansberg for two days. Stayed at Manyane Resort just for one night. Unfortunately the friend I was staying with was sick. (Thanks Gary for trying to find a solution for that one night and offering to drive me to the resort). Luckily, everything worked out OK. Chalet was very small but it had everything one needs. Slept in small upstairs room. During the first day saw lots of game on our drive to the resort, including two elephant and two rhino, a bit far away though. Also hippo at the Mkwane Dam, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest and a little black-backed jackal near the roadside who was trying to catch a butterfly and then retired to the shade! Once at the chalet, we unpacked and made tea. Had a lovely swim in the pool. Very relaxing to sit at the poolside and order drinks. Dinner in the evening a little disappointing though it was good to sit under the stars and discuss the day’s events. It had taken two and a quarter hours to drive from Johannesburg and we arrived at a quarter past eight.

We booked for a gamedrive the next morning and it was amazing to see the sun come up and watch the animals as they wandered across the veld. Owing to the rains the park was looking good and we saw elephant, zebra, and warthog with their young. We saw one herd of 16 and another of 10 elephant and several bulls on their own, including "Amarula" who had tossed a car just a month before. Apparently, two women got out of their car and this of course, was not in order. The noise of a camera can be heard a long distance away and may also irritate a grazing animal or one who is protecting her young. Altogether we saw 32 elephant throughout the drive and many of the same animals we saw the day before. We also saw kudu, tsessebi antelope, plenty of blue wildebeest, giraffe and impala. The game drive was wonderful and I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

We stopped at the Pilansberg Centre and I bought a few small gifts to take back. Good place to get quality items. We had a wonderful buffet breakfast at the Resort after the gamedrive and decided to leave around midday in order to miss the traffic on the way back to Johannesburg.

OR Tambo Int. was really great, with so much more space than at the old airport, where one could hardly move between all the people, the stores and lack of signs. A follow-up report will be on the CT forum.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg Trip Report - week of 5 February

Hi Lizby,

Thanks for your report, sounds like you had a great time on our side of the valley! Sorry to hear about your friend, hope she's recovered by now.

Isn't Pilanesberg just the best? I love it there, and the animals are really well cared for.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 08:59
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg Trip Report - week of 5 February

Hey Lizby,

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I thought you might enjoy Pilanesberg.

It is a great reserve, and very well managed.

3. Re: Johannesburg Trip Report - week of 5 February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 03:28