We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for your winter

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for your winter

Hi- I will be in S.Africa from July 26-Aug 6. Since I will be coming from a very hot summer climate what should I expect for your winter. Do people dress in winterlike clothes- I know it will not be cold but I remember visiting my daughter in SanDiego in Jan- and the kids had on Burberry scarves. Just want to fit in thats all. Thanks.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for your winter

Well day temperatures anywhere between 16 to 23 deg celcius and night times can get as cold as -1. Most mornings on our way to work the temp is approx 6 deg. In the evenings you need warm clothing and for during the day make sure you carry a warm jacket with you.

Yes we wear winterlike clothes too here ie coats/jersey's/scarves etc.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for your winter

Hi KC

Depends of course where you are travelling to in South Africa. Like the US this is a big country and we have very different climates in different parts of the country.

MadameXYZ has given you guidance for the Highveld of Johannesburg - remember that this is nearly 6,000ft above sea level. The Highveld is very dry in winter. Virtually no rain between June and September.

Here in the Cape we have the opposite. Hot dry summers and cool winters when most of the rain falls. Not so cold as Joburg at night. 5C is an exceptionally cold night. More typically 9-13. But there is rain on about 1 in four days - sometimes heavy. That does mean that 75 percent of days are dry! Daytime temperatures vary. Maximum is usualy 16-18 but some days can be warmer. Yesterday was an exception with the temperature getting to 27C(80F). Every couple of weeks or so in the winter we get a lovely spell - crystal clear suny days with no wind and temperature in the 20s. But if you are coming to the Cape definitely bring something waterproof!

Durban and the East coast have yet a different climate. Here the winter is the best time of the year. Mostly dry and pleasantly warm with night tiime temperature no lower than about 14C. You can even swim in the Indian Ocean here in the winter - although not for too long. So if you are coming here probably Oregon late summer clothes!

Here you may also see Burberry scarves - but they will mostly be fake!

Edited: 02 June 2010, 20:12
KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for your winter

Thanks- I will be in Plettenberg Bay and one day in Joburg to meet a friend for lunch on my way back to the US. I was in Capetown 3 years ago- gorgeous and great November weather- next trip!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for your winter

The Garden Route (Plettenberg Bay) is yet another climatic zone. The south coast is a transition rainfall area. This means that unlike the other regions of the country the rain is spread pretty evenly through all months. This is the reason for the "Garden" description - the natural forests are kept green all through the year.

What this also means though, is that in winter there is less rain than in the Cape. Although it does occasionaly get cold. Here is a picture of Plett in June a couple of years ago! :

zoopy.com/photo/zj/snow-in-plettenberg-bay

Very untypical, I hasten to add! Normally a good amount of sun and pleasant!

Edited: 02 June 2010, 21:39
KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for your winter

Great photo- think I will bring a pair of mittens!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for your winter

Van_de_Caab....like the pic and remember it well. But mind you, that was a once off!

Regarding the rain, yes that is what it used to be like just months ago but currently they still have not had any decent rain since last year and it is extremely dry. The lushness is not longer visible. When driving past the forests from Plett to Knysna, you can now "look in" which you could never do before. It is a sad sight.

Let's hope that they get rain soon again. There are still strict water restricitons in Plett and all the way to George.

7. Re: Dressing for your winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 06:29