We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joburg for 4 days

LMG6316
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Joburg for 4 days

I'm going to be in Joburg for 4 days and Santon seems to be the best area to stay .Can anyone recommend any medium range hotels and also activities. I wouls be interested in Soweto and have read the posting about the Backpackers tour. Any other ideas ? I'm currently back packing in Tanzania with no access to a Guide Book ! Thanks . Linda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joburg for 4 days

The City Lodge group of hotels is usually good value and not too expensive. Formula One hotels are even cheaper. Google those names for more info.

Regarding activities, why don't you click on the link on this page? Top left of screen, you will see a heading "More on Johannesburg". Underneath that heading you will find "Things to do". Click on that and it will give you all the info you could possibly think of on loads of activities.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joburg for 4 days

Sandton is the business centre for Jo'burg - with office parks and business hotels. It will probably not suit a back packer, particularly of you are used to back packing prices. I would suggest Melville as an alternative neighbourhood.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Joburg for 4 days

Definitely stay in Melville rather than Sandton, it's more bohemian and trendy and would suit the backpacker. Parkhurst, Greenside and Rosebank are good for restaurants. Sandton is the new business district and there's the huge Sandton shopping mall so it's good for business travellers but the other places I have mentioned have smaller and more interesting shopping malls and high street shopping options (including the Rooftop Market in Rosebank Mall, open on Sundays).

4. Re: Joburg for 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg