We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help!

Hello,

I am going to be in Johannesburg for a weekend at the end of a South Africa tour at the start of November and am looking for a hotel.

From reading many reviews on here, I know Sandton, Rosebank and Melville and the best locations to choose from, but many of the hotels are out of my budget!.

I am a single female staying alone, and want to be somewhere within safe walking distance of restaurants for an evening meal, or a hotel with a reseaonable restaurant.

So far have found Courtyard Hotel in Rosebank for £200 for 2 nights, Protea Hotel Balalaika for £160, or Park Inn Sandton for £140.

Which of these would be best value, or can you suggest somewhere else. £200 is very top of my budget, somewhere a little less would be great!

Thank you!

Diana

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help!

Consider the Rosebank Lodge B&B, it is well in your price range - and the savings should mean you can take a taxi to any restaurant you please.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help!

You could also try the Garden Court Sandton / Sandton City - pretty reasonable single rates here.

Tracey - Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help!

Of the 3 you've mentioned, I'd recommend the Balalaika for these reasons:

- connected to Village Walk shopping centre with a supermarket and other shops.

- within walking distance to complex of bars and restaurant which is quite popular and full on Fridays and Saturdays.

- within easy walking distance to Sandton City Mall (during daytime, bit far and lonely at night)

Courtyard Hotel and Park Inn are bit too far to walk to shopping/restaurants/etc.

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help!

Register with the City Lodge/ Courtyard/ Town Lodge/ Road Lodge, hospitality program and pay less than half the advertised rack rates on their room auction site, www.bidtostay.co.za.

Or consider either of 2 Holiday Inns, the Express or Courtyard next to Eastgate shopping centre. Or the Mecure right across the road.

The advantage with these is that the Bedfordview area offers ALL AND MORE of what Sandton offers and is just 15 minutes from the Airport.

5. Re: Hotel help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 15:05
6. Re: Hotel help!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 15:05
uganda
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help!

you could consider the stay easy at eastgate its not sandton but has the huge eastgate shopping mall opposite is around $80 us a night and is 20 mins from the airport shuttle available. i stay here oftion as a single female traveller and is very secure, for just a quick stopover and a cheap and cheerful option when you consider hotel options in joburg. if you want to stay in the sandton area i hear a holiday inn express has opened in the area this could be good value and ill try it next time im in joburg.

8. Re: Hotel help!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 05:16