We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

I'm planning a 2-week trip to South Africa, basically split between Capetown and Joburg.

The plan is to go into CPT (from LAX) spend 7 days there. Get a Mango flight from CPT to JNB and then spend 6-7 days there and fly out of JNB back to LAX.

I think I've got Capetown mostly figured out but I've just started looking at places to stay in JNB.

We are two 40-ish males interested in nature, good food, museums. One of us is an enthusiast of plants (succulent/cactus etc) and the other likes historical spots and natural beauty (NO CAMPING!)

Looking at March 7-21 (dates very flexible).

Suggestions for hotels in JNB and things to do (renting a car and going into Kruger for a day or two sounds good).

Our budget for lodging is $100-$150per day

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

There is a lot to do in and surrounding Johannesburg. Soweto tour and Apartheid museum is a full day tour. The Kruger National Park is a 2 night 3 day tour. The distance to the Kruger is about 5 hours drive. The Panorama route is a must when you travel to the Kruger. There are also Game Reserves that are not so far away with also the Big 5.

The City Lodges are good hotels all over South Africa.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Soweto tour, a visit to the Aparheid museum and a trip out to the Cradle of Mankind http://www.cradleofhumankind.co.za/index.html

As mentioned the Panorama route, including the potholes and Blyde River Canyon is very scenic. Plus at least 2-3 days on safari in/near Kruger.

As for historical spots and natural splendour - sounds like you might be more suited to the visiting the Drakensberg mountains and the battlefields - but you wont be able to fit this in 7 days with the above.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

If you have an interest in nature, you would probably want to limit your time in Johannesburg to 3 days and maybe spend some time either at Kruger National Park or Pilanesberg.

For succulents, you really need to go to the Karoo. We dont have cactuses here, but have euphorbias, haworthias (my hubbies love) and other squishy things.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Your timing isn't the best for succulents - but you will be just over an hour's drive from here www.sanbi.org/index.php… during your Cape Town stay.

Once in Johannesburg, I would urge you to think of a shorter stay there combined with using 3 nights in or near Kruger Park. Pilanesburg is closer and OK if you just do 2 nights. But driving all the way to Kruger for 2 nights - if any of that time includes swinging by the Panorama route overlooking Blyde River Canyon - will be quite rushed, I believe..

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Gauteng's museums: southafrica.info/travel/cultural/179901.htm

MuseumAfrica and Constitutional Hill would be worth a visit. Just keep your wits about you they are both in slightly dicey (though by no means no-go) areas. Also Apartheid Museum, Cradle, and for a more nuanced look at our history, the Boer War concentration camp graves and Jan Smuts House, both between Jhb and Pretoria:

centurionet.co.za/centurionet_e/…Kampkerkhof

You might also try to get your hands on a copy of Nechama Brodie's Joburg Book - if you're into history you may enjoy it and get some additional perspective. Just please get local advice before haring off to see the sites mentioned in the book - some of them are in areas that definitely border on no-go!

Wrt the botanica, I was on Dave's wavelength, was also going to recommend you take a look at the SANBI's website. Worcester is definitely the garden for succulents, but Pretoria has them in captivity. The Walter Sisulu garden near Jhb has a great waterfall and a geology trail, although it unfortunately also has an upmarket ghetto (gated community) next door which in my view compromises the atmosphere.

Accommodation: why not look at www.portfoliocollection.com/location/Gauteng

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Sorry, I realised after submitting the post that the links from that part of the Portfolio (accommodation) site are broken - rather start from the home page.

Good food: www.eat-out.co.za

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

Great Joburg suggestions already made. Would second the Walter sisulu botanical gardens also for nature walks and great picnic spot.

Another highlight is the new market at Art On Main every Sunday. You'll be in foodie and art heaven.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

What are the Game Reserves "near by" JNB and how does one get to them? I'm fairly baffled as to how to book a big 5 safari trip out of JNB. Where does one stay when one is out there?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

The Pilanesberg Game Reserve is 55000ha big with the Big Five. I love Pilanesberg because it is only 2 hours drive out of Johannesburg. Sun City is just next to Pilanesberg. There are nice Lodges in Pilanesberg that will be in reach of your budget. You can go on an open Game Drive.

If you do the self drive this is also easy. In the Reserve you can do the self drive or book the open vehicle game drive.

This option you can also do in a day. Depart early in the morning and come back late in the afternoon.

On your way to Pilanesberg you can visit the Cameleon Village (very big art and craft fleamarket), the Elephant santuary, and the Lion Park where you can play with the lions.

www.pilanesberg-game-reserve.co.za

Istanbul
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7-days in Joburg (following 7 days in Cape own) suggestions?

There are lots of things to do and attractions in Johannesburg. Kruger National Park, Lion Park, Johannesburg Zoo, Apartheid Museum, Sweto, Gold Reef City, Sun City, Pilanesberg Reserve and Sandton shopping are the must take attractions that I may advice. Below sites would be very useful

destination-johannesburg.com/destination_gui…

www.sa-venues.com/gauteng_tourist_info.htm