We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Tambo to KTP

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
from Tambo to KTP

believe it or not but this year will mark the fifth time we will drive from OR Tambo to Upington and KTP - and each time we more or less or lost our way on the Jo'burg freeway system...we've bought a few maps, to no avail, usually their scale is too big...so is there anybody out there who can link me to a useful online map or compile a usable description for me?

thanks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Tambo to KTP

LOL Olivernorwell,

I can understand the confusion, because I get lost on that particular route out of Jhb and I lived there for 40 years.

The easiest is not to go through Jhb at all, but to head from the airport towards Pretoria (R21). It's a huge freeway.

40kms north of the airport, you'll find a large interchange, called the "Flying Saucer". Here you bear left onto the N1S (Johannesburg).

About 15kms further, you reach another huge interchange (called Brakfontein). Instead of bearing left (towards Johannesburg), you continue straight onto the N14 towards Krugersdorp (i.e. right-hand lanes).

After about 50kms, you reach a traffic light (the first one). Here you turn right and continue on the N14 to Upington. It is signposted N14 all the way through (about 600kms, I think). There's a little dog-leg intersection out near Tarlton, I think, but just follow the N14 signs.

Simple enough. One left turn, one "straight" turn and one right turn. Avoid Jhb if you can (that route is really complex).

Hope this helps.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 20:50
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Tambo to KTP

well, I might actually try this one - in the past we've both tried to pass Jo'burg to the south (and had trouble finding the N14) and to drive straight through Jo'burg on the R24, until hitting the N14 later on (and got lost in Jo'burg)

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Tambo to KTP

Lol ONH,

The N14 actually starts in Pretoria, briefly "touches" the N1 freeway before bearing westwards towards Krugersdorp and then towards Upington.

There is absolutely no signage in Jhb to the N14.

To use the southern Jhb bypass, you pass through 5 or 6 major interchanges before taking a minor off-ramp to take a link road to the N14. Even a slight mistake on lanes will cause you to get horrendously lost.

To drive through Jhb to pick up the N14 is virtually impossible (as you've discovered) - even for experienced flk who live there.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Tambo to KTP

Hi

My advice is this: bring a small GPS device for a car, it works so well. Especially for people (like myself) who get lost often

I cannot tell you how much easier it is (for me) with a GPS

Edited: 10 April 2011, 06:58
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Tambo to KTP

the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that I'll follow Bushkid's initial advice and head up to Pretoria, although this will certainly put more kilometers on the rental car than the two alternatives we tried in the years before

interestingly enough, whenever we headed BACK from KTP and Upington to Tambo or Kruger, we never had any problems

as for the GPS suggestion: I'm not sure we'd be able to find suitable map material here in Germany (maybe tracks4africa) and to hire a GPS system for 21 days (that's the duration of our this years stay) "only" to find our way to the N14 seems too expensive

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Tambo to KTP

Hi ONH,

The route I've suggested may add as little as 40kms extra to your route, but save you much frustration. It really is simple, and you don't need a GPS.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Tambo to KTP

bushkid, I certainly don't mind the extra 40 km, the rental car comes with free mileage and in the past we've definitly lost a lot more time on getting lost than we might now need for those 40 km - plus we'll arrive upcoming sunday morning, so I'm sure the highways will be rather empty, anyway

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
929 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Tambo to KTP

we returned on monday and the route you guys suggested worked out brilliantly, I don't even think we lost time, however all the road constructions on the N14 (way past Pretoria) were a pain in the a**

9. Re: from Tambo to KTP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:19