We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to visit my brother who lives in Johannesburg. We're going in November and although we'll be staying with him, we'd really like some ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip. i will have my 1 1/2 year old daughter with me, so I think that might rule out some trips. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

1) Sun City 2) Cape Town by air 3) Kruger Park

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Rather than Sun City, which in my opinion is both fake (fake myth; fake sea....) and overpriced, in your position I would consider some of the family-friendly country resorts/hotels in that general area: Sparkling Waters and Hunters' Rest come to mind, and if you were to google accommodation in the Magaliesberg and Rustenburg area I'm sure other options would present themselves, including self-catering places. I can't make any personal recommendations though - this area is too close to Joburg for me: when I leave town I like to feel I'veleft it far behind! For you with a toddler, the fact that it's only a 1-2 hour drive might be a drawcard.

There are similar family-friendly hotels/resorts around the Kwa-Zulu Natal escarpment and the northern Drakensberg - about a 2.5-3 hour drive but a little cooler than Magaliesberg-Rustenburg. Here I have excellent personal experience of the Cavern, www.cavern.co.za but there are others: google accommodation in Van Reenen or the Northern Berg. Also self-catering options.

If you really want to take your little one on an aeroplane when you don't absolutely have to, you could also consider a flight to Durban and stay in one of the North Coast towns in relative proximity to the new airport: Ballito, Salt Rock, Umhlanga. That whole coast is very developed these days but is completely geared to family holiday-makers. You could also drive but it's 5-6 hours.

You may also find somewhere in either Heidelburg or Parys, both less than an hour from Joburg. Then there is the nearer end of Mpumalanga, but other than Loskop Dam or Badplaas I can't think of anywhere in particular.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Rather than Sun City, which in my opinion is both fake (fake myth; fake sea....) and overpriced, in your position I would consider some of the family-friendly country resorts/hotels in that general area: Sparkling Waters and Hunters' Rest come to mind, and if you were to google accommodation in the Magaliesberg and Rustenburg area I'm sure other options would present themselves, including self-catering places. I can't make any personal recommendations though - this area is too close to Joburg for me: when I leave town I like to feel I'veleft it far behind! For you with a toddler, the fact that it's only a 1-2 hour drive might be a drawcard.

There are similar family-friendly hotels/resorts around the Kwa-Zulu Natal escarpment and the northern Drakensberg - about a 2.5-3 hour drive but a little cooler than Magaliesberg-Rustenburg. Here I have excellent personal experience of the Cavern, www.cavern.co.za but there are others: google accommodation in Van Reenen or the Northern Berg. Also self-catering options.

If you really want to take your little one on an aeroplane when you don't absolutely have to, you could also consider a flight to Durban and stay in one of the North Coast towns in relative proximity to the new airport: Ballito, Salt Rock, Umhlanga. That whole coast is very developed these days but is completely geared to family holiday-makers. You could also drive but it's 5-6 hours.

You may also find somewhere in either Heidelburg or Parys, both less than an hour from Joburg. Then there is the nearer end of Mpumalanga, but other than Loskop Dam or Badplaas I can't think of anywhere in particular.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Will you have transport?

Maybe somewhere around the Bela Bela area. www.belabelatourism.co.za Somewhere like http://www.mabalingwe.co.za/

I would not take a 1 1/2 year old to Kruger (a malaria area) in November

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

What about Nambiti Game Park, malaria free, about 3.5 hrs from Jhb and is a big 5 game park, Drakensberg Mountains also a good place (depending on whether or not it is winter), Kwazulu Natal Midlands (gorgeous artist retreats etc.), or the Kwazulu coastline only 6 hrs from Jhb to Durban.

Other option is Clarens in The Orange Free State, beautiful little town.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Pilanesberg national park, 2-3 hours away

I would agree with Clarens, about 4 hours drive

Edited: 17 May 2011, 15:10
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

Hi -the Magaliesberg is just an hour away from Johannesburg and has a number of lovely guesthouses, as well as game experiences, hiking and even arts and crafts and some museums. I suggest you search for "Magalies Meander'' which will give you the route. You would need to rent/borrow a car of course.

Another quaint spot is Dullstroom -about 250kms from Johannesburg, which has its prime attraction in trout fishing (maybe not so great in November) but also has lovely scenery, being close to the escarpment, and there are some nice hikes, as well as some great little shops, pubs and restaurants in the high street.

8. Re: Ideas for a 2-3 day breakaway trip from Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 06:18