We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

I keep checking for a good air fare to Johannesburg in early September from the USA. So far all of the best deals connect with South African Airways (SAA) through Dakar before going on to JNB. The connection time is only 1 hour in Dakar from one SAA flight to another SAA flight. Is that enough time in Dakar? Do you have to clear customs/immigration before transferring to the next flight? This seem very tight to me. If anyone has done this please comment. Thank you.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

You don't get off the plane in Dakar. It is just a refueling stop.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

What fare are you getting? I see fares on Delta of $1552, all taxes and fees included - and these are great connections from Little Rock to Atlanta to Johannesburg on the nonstop ATL/JNB flight. Same routing on the return.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

bwanadave,

I wanted to keep my post simple. We are actually flying back through a hub city in Europe on our way home. Maybe Paris or Amsterdam or Stockholm or Zurich for a few days. We are actually flying RT from Johannesburg to Lusaka for safari before heading home via Europe. We always appreciate ithers ideas & suggestions. Thank you.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

That might make the Delta site even more relevant They now have a stake in KLM and many of the US/South Africa/US fares are routed through Amsterdam. I did it myself last year.

5. Re: Airport Hub Cities on Way to Johannesburg JNB Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 02:19