We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better late than never

Italy
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Better late than never

We are foreigners who were travelling in South Africa by a rental car in August 2010. A couple of days ago we have received an email from Europecar notifying that there was a speeding fine of 750 R (with a picture of our car going at 91 instead of allowed 80 km) to be paid to the traffic municipality and administrative fee of 220 R to the rental company. I would like to know if according to SA law after more than 10 months that fine is still valid and if the rental company has the right to charge us any fees for processing it.

It looks like they pretend administrative fees even for the fines that cannot and will never be paid.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better late than never

If you admit that you did break the speed limit then why would you not pay the fine? It seems reasonable that you actually obey the laws of another country when you visit and pay any fines when you don't!! As for the admin fee, that seems reasonable also. Why would you think otherwise?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better late than never

Yes - 10 months is long but the fine is still valid. Many municipalities take a long time to issue fines. Using the picture technology normally shows there is little doubt of guilt.

Yes - you will have signed and accepted that you are liable for all traffic fines and also accept that the hire company will charge an administration fee to process this. These terms and conditions will also be posted on their website. This is the same with hire car companies anywhere in the world. R220 (EU25) sounds a perfectlyy reasonable administration fee for the work involved in processing the fine. This is definitely not a "pretend administration fee".

You say the "fines will never be paid". Normally Europcar will already have charged this amount to your credit card directly. You also gave them permission to do this when you signed the contract. Have you checked your credit card statement. Maybe you have since cancelled your credit card? If so you are liable to pay the fine at this point which can easily be done by using a new credit card.

Unfortunately, as you say, "Better late than never"!!

Edited: 30 June 2011, 02:49
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better late than never

LOL

Funny this remark coming from someone from Italy ;-)

Did get a ticket (like thousand of other dutch tourist) of entering a street (in Florence) which was defined as a restricted area. Ticket came after 13 months for 168 euro. Even though I think this is a rip off trick for tourist I payed.

So yes if you where speeding, why not pay?

Italy
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Better late than never

To all the honest paranoid tourists who reply on this forum.

Not going to pay because obviously our moral values are not as high as yours…

Anyway, I did not ask if I should or should not pay… Just wanted to know what is the lapse of time that legally should be observed between the moment of offence and notification in South Africa

Maybe you just can’t reply, because you don’t know… but in this case just keep silent.

To Van de Caab: I cannot be sure that your statement “the fine is still valid” is true, because the rest of the info you give does not seem correct. Speeding fines are to be paid to the traffic authorities (through bank transfers I suppose), rental company cares only for an administrative fee and is not liable for that type of fine (different story for parking fines). That is what I have found out doing research online.

To Jan: I am sorry for your bad experience in Italy. I suspect you were not even liable after 13 months (should be 150 days between offence and notification, but I might be mistaken and I don’t provide replies on this forum, just because I am not 100% sure). But if someone who really knows would have posted here a concrete piece of info, that might have saved you (and someone else) the trouble… But maybe you just wanted to pay.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better late than never

So the stereotype is true!

Italians (and Greeks) seem to believe that paying fines - and taxes - is somehow optional.

You broke the law - proven by the picture - just PAY!!!

I just hope that the rental company have already removed the fine plus admin fee from your credit card! Many posters on here have had SPEEDING fines paid by the Hire Company and charged directly against their credit card!

Edited: 30 June 2011, 23:53
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Better late than never

Here are links to a couple of previous threads in the TA forums – there are plenty of others. Some people have had the fine for speeding automatically removed from their Credit Card, others have been sent the bill.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k4…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k3…

Just note that all the posters to date who were actually fined paid up – but as you see it, these are just stupid, "paranoid, moral” people.

Thank God most of the world is like this!

Edited: 01 July 2011, 00:31
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better late than never

Well said Van_de_Caab!

8. Re: Better late than never

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:16