We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Joburg

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Joburg

Hi my wife and I are spending 1 day in joburg. We are taking a flight out of OR Tambo the next morning at 11 AM. What are the must see things in Joburg if we are there for only 1 day? I heard that the lion park is a must see. If we need to go there what is the best area to stay in?

Thanks

Karthik

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Joburg

Lion Park is great, you can even stay there (and limit your self to just the lion park) oh and it's tents

The lion park is near Fourways so you might want to stay at the Montecassino, nice mall across the street too

other wise any Sandton or Randburg location will do

there is also Amber Rose Country Estate very near the park

As far as other things on the south side of town is soweto and Apartheid Museum which may interest you

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Joburg

As you are able to experience Lions and many other animals in their true wild environment in South Africa - even just a couple of hours away in Pilansberg - why on earth go to the Lion Park? This is no more than a Petting Zoo and many of the Lion Cubs in such places end up in Canned Hunting Reserves to be shot and mounted on the wall by some "Macho" hunter from North America or Asia. Who tells anyone who will listen how he shot this "Wild" Lion!!

Maybe read the following threads on here -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1210028-i12352-k3…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k168…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293842-i9277-k324…

There are many others in similar vein.

There are many other places to visit in the Joburg area which IMHO are much higher up the "must see" list. The two top places I would recommend would be the Apartheid Musuem - http://www.apartheidmuseum.org/ to learn about the very recent history of South Africa and, at the other end of the historical spectrum, the Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein Caves, to learn about the sites of the earliest Human Beings where they were discovered - http://www.maropeng.co.za/index.php/maropeng/

Both of these are wonderful modern interpretation centres. Even if you didn't think you were interested in either subject you will go away fascinated and wanting to learn more!

Indiana
Level Contributor
785 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Joburg

DaveSA ... GREAT suggestion! My only regret last month was not going to Lion Park. As much as we loved the game drives on safari, my kids really wanted to get up close to the animals. I am sad we did not spend some time at Lion Park. If you look at the pics online you will see why Lion Park is rated the # 2 attraction in Joburg. Be sure to post some pics and a review if you go there. Have fun!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Joburg

Personally i love going to the Lion park and i love going to the kruger too

Yes, it's a glorified zoo, and yes the lions are doomed to life in the lion park (can never be released to the wild)

with that said i thought this was just a travel info forum not a place where DE's "force" (for lack of a better word) their morals on others

IMHO i think the lion park does animals in general a great service by showcasing them and letting people up close and personal, which creates a bigger awareness then doing a self-drive in the kruger and driving for three days and seeing nothing...

whatever.....

Last time i was there a Lion jumped on my car... that never happened to me in the kruger (thank g-d)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Joburg

Dave I am not forcing morals. I am simply asking you what do YOU think happens to the Lion Park's "cute" little cubs when they are too old and dangerous to be "cuddled", they are surplus to requirements (they need lots more cubs than Lions) and can't be released into the wild?

Maybe read some of the linked posts about where canned hunting establishments get their Lions to be shot. Fortunately there is now a strong move to make canned Lion Hunting Illegal in South Africa. Maybe the petting zoos will then shoot their own cubs when they are no longer needed and grind the bones up to sell them as a Chinese aphrodisiac - but that's now illegal too!

To many concerned South Africans - and many others on here - these are important issues for people to make decisions about when going on holiday. As I would hope I and they would also do when travelling to the States or anywhere else in the world.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Joburg

It is not a case of forcing your morals on someone. It is a case of trying to make people, who might be ignorant of the true situation, aware of the consequences of their actions.

Indiana
Level Contributor
785 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Joburg

Dave … Thank you for using TripAdvisor for its intended purpose, answering questions in a friendly and polite manner. Great Job!

I hope you took some pics of the lion on the car. If so, you should write a review for Lion Park and post them. Priceless!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Joburg

Prof

It was in 2003 (before i had my digital camera) i could scan it maybe

Vdc- I know all about it and frankly i could care less. I personally believe animals were put in this world to be enjoyed (think good braai)

Most people are quite aware of what happens to captive animals and unless you're just trying to point out that this isn;t a "real" safari i think we should stick to the details

9. Re: Things to do in Joburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 20:16