We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety and security

india
1 post
Save Topic
safety and security

sir.

i would be visiting joburg for employment in sept and wish to know from realiable sources about the safety concerns and security for expats working there

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety and security

Sir,

This is a travel forum, for people seeking advice for a short holiday.

While there may be some expats who can give advice, most people using this site are visitors who have spent the occasional holiday there, or residents who know the country well.

I think you may well do better by looking for an expat forum, or even asking your prospective employers.

For my part, I've experienced no problems in several short visits, only kindness and assistance from locals, proud of their city and country.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 15:48
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety and security

Not sure if I fit your criteria for a reliable source. I'm a native South African albeit of the pale-skinned variety, born and raised in the Joburg area. I work in IT, in the corporate sector, which means I have worked alongside an unbroken stream of Indian contractors and consultants since the late 1990s. Initially they were mostly young, single men who had a blast, exploring Jhb by night and the rest of the country over weekends; of late years there have also been a considerable number of families, who seem to live here perfectly happily from what I can see - sometimes for several years.

Safety: I did hear one or two anecdotes a few years back about a couple of the guys being harassed by police on the lookout for illegal immigrants; although I think it was a passing thing, do follow your company's and embassy's guidelines on proving your right to be here. If it is the "Joburg is a war zone" urban legends that are worrying you, put your fears to rest by doing a search in "Safety" in this forum. Also bear in mind that your company will presumably be housing you in a middle-class suburb.

Finally, you are aware, are you not, that South Africans of Indian ancestry form a sizable, visible and respected minority in this country? No-one will even know you are not local unless their ears are attuned to the accent.

I hope you enjoy your stay here as much as the expats I work with.

3. Re: safety and security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:18