We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Joburg

australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Joburg

We have a 4 week trip planned in SA next May at the end of it we have 2-3 nights in Joburgh. We will have done Durban and surrounding area Battlefields and Elephant Plains Lodge.

Thinking and looking where to stay that is a safe area???? I question this has we have been to what has been termed unsafe and not had a problem. We are a couple of mature age, 60yrs we are fit and active We like to go for a nice dinner would prefer to be able to walk to resturant or short taxi drive.Can anyone suggest a good area to stay and also recommend some good day trips We are interested in culture history and eco sites

Thank you

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
986 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Joburg

You could stay in the Sandton or Rosebank areas. Both safe enough and you would be able to walk around in relatively safety 'within the areas of each mall', ie Sandton City mall or Rosebank Mall. If you ventured out a little further to the Fourways area, there are many restaurants and your hotel would be able to call you a taxi. Day trips - how about the Apartheid Museum which is in the south of Jhb. For eco - the Cradle of Humankind, north west of Johannesburg. You would need a car for both of these but I'm sure there are day tours available as well. Your hotel would be able to advise you on this.

Regards

Ags

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Joburg

Johannesburg has certain high crime zone areas,luckily the rest are quite safe,but do take necessary precaution as there is always the occasional mugger...I to would say sandton,rosebank,Pretoria aswell has many safe areas..just to add on ,you might want to see Soweto ,it's tourist friendly ,a good way to get in touch with cultural side yet be in a safer enivoroment then other areas..why not try hot air ballooning?it a mere 30min drive from Johannesburg,there the botanical gardens aswell,and shopping Mecca in a town within Johannesburg called fordsburg...great array of variety cuisine available there aswell...

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
26 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Joburg

Sandton and Rosebanks are both nice in terms of a home-base. I would certainly venture further afield from here. Small neighbourhoods like Parkhurst, Melville, Greenside are worth while. Braamfontein is also accessible thanks to a bus that takes you from the Rosebank train station downtown (and there is an amazing food market in Braamfontein every Saturday). A trip to the Apartheid museum is a must. Constitutional Court well worth a visit. Soweto (specifically Orlando West) should also be on your list. Dedicated tour companies can help you with an itinerary. Joburg has a bad reputation, but it remains an amazing city! If you need any advice, please feel free to contact me at any time via this forum!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Joburg

Great advice already given on where to stay. Apartheid Museum and Soweto tour would be the highlight of your stay in Joburg.

Would also suggest a matinee (depending when your stay is druring the week) with an amazin buffet of traditional South African food at Gramadoelas adjacent to the theater. Have lunch at any of the many sidewalk restaurants in Parkhurst.

5. Re: where to stay in Joburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 October 2011, 12:05
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Joburg

Wanted to say earlier that I'd recommend a matinee at The Market Theater in Newtown, with Gramadoelas adjacent to the theater.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Joburg

IMO Sandton would be a good idea. You could stay in one of the hotels that are located in Sandton City ie Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton Sun Hotel, Sandton Towers Hotel, and you have direct access to Sandton City Shopping Complex which has numerous restaurants, as well as Nelson Mandela Square which has even more restaurants.

You then have the Gautrain Sandton Station on your doorstep which can take you to the airport if you so wish.

There are other hotels in the vicinity of Sandton City as well.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Joburg

I know 2 good and safe places to stay. In a green corner of Johannesburg.

www.soulfusion.co.za of www thatch22.webs.com They can help you to make some interesed day tours too.

Question is your last name Hols ??? Mine too, bur I am from The Netherlands.

regards, Anton

australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Joburg

Thank you to all who replied. Lots of different options for us to research we will enjoy looking

Answer to question

No Anton its not our second name just an abbreviation of happy holidays. lol

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Joburg

ok. thks