We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

I'm looking for lodging that is near to Walk With The Lions. We will stay one night and the following morning want to visit Walk With The Lions (leaving our luggage in the van). At the end of the afternoon we will need to go to JNB airport for an International flight @ 7:15pm.

Also, is the elephant sanctuary near by the Walk With the Lions or is this too much for 1 day?

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel, B&B, guide etc. that can accommodate our plan ? Thank you.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

I have a feeling most people in these forums will find it very hard to offer any advise on accommodation as it is associated with a "walk with the lions".

Most of us would believe that lions should be allowed to live in their natural environment, be able to roam freely and to not be trained to go on walks and cuddle with humans. Lions are wild animals and should remain so.

Perhaps this recent story might also put things into perspective: news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Victim-warned-ab…

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

I couldn't agree more with SepSep.

Also, you should be concerned about what happens to these lions once they are no longer cute, cuddly, containable cubs.

The answer is that they probably end up as targets in the "canned hunting" industry, where the fact that they have no fear of humans makes them easy targets.

bornfree.org.uk/campaigns/…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Love5pets - really??

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

LOL, Love5pets!

You might notice there's a REAL resistance to "Walking with Lions" from the regular posters on this forum (Really, Peterscot ... LOL!).

I'm with Sep Sep, Stokeygirl and Peterscot on this one! Can't agree more.

Stroking a cub usually puts it at the wrong end of a hunter's gun (and not a particularly ethical hunter either). Walking with lions ultimately signs their untimely death warrant.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 17:42
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Hi There,

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Walk with Lions experience near Britz (www.ukutula.com)? I am an avid animal lover, and this was an amazing experience at a reputable establishment - good guides, great conservation projects etc. Our whole family went & it's something you can't describe. They also have accomodation available. (about an hour from JHB)

There is an elephant sanctuary in Magaliesburg - www.elephantsanctuary.co.za - also stunning, and is an hours drive from Brits. They have a variety of different elephent experiences available so time spent there would vary according to your choice.

Hope you have a great time in SA!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Thank you Samvan. Would it make sense to visit the elephant sanctuary in the afternoon, stay overnight at the ukutula Lion Walk and be there the following day (then we fly home that evening) ? Unfortunately we only have 1 1/2 days to do both.

We would need a driver/guide for this, no interest in renting a car ourselves since we don't know the area at all.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Hey Love5Pets,

If you are talking about the Walking with Lions experience in Brits - then I can tell you it's an awesome experience! And I'm an avid animal lover, and South African to boot. I reallly suppose it';s where you go & whether you've done your homework. Our whole family went earlier this year - www.ukutula.com - not sure where you are looking at? They have lodging here too. There is an Elephant Sanctuary in the Magaliesburg area - also stunning! www.elephantsanctuary.co.za - there are different experience options that vary in time.

So much to love a bout SA - hope you have a great trip!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

We're looking at visiting the elephant sanctuary which is nearest to Ukutual Walk Wth Lions. (I guess it would be the one one you mentioned in Magaliesburg area.) We could do either the elephant sanctuary OR the Walk With Lions at Ukutai the first afternoon, and the other one the following day. Both seem to have lodging so we'd stay at one or the other.

I think what I need to do is find a reliable guide driver who can transport us from JNB airport, drive between elephants/lions and then return us the following evening for our flight back to USA. Ideally we'd like to visit both the elephant sactuary and the Ukutai Walk With Lions...just not which order to do these in.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

Samvan - you really can't equate lions on a leash with good conservation.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Night Hotel with 1 day Walk With the Lions ??

SepSep

I have got the feeling that any form of advise from people on here that have got their mind set right when it comes to walking/petting with lions will receive any recognition.

Seems that "Love pets" has made up their/his/her mind and should rather ask for advise at the respective provider. Let's just stay out of it to give it the least attention possible!!!!!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview