We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 living in Jo'berg

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
2012 living in Jo'berg

My family & I are thinking of moving to Jo'berg later in 2012. I am currently doing my research & have read a lot of older posts (2008/9) re crime & safety. Is it any better now in 2011/12?

Hubbie's office is in Sandton so we will be looking for house/school in that area. I know the traffic is bad so need something as convenient (and safe) as possible.

Looking at Bryanston area to live & Charterhouse College for schooling.

Any thoughts? All help would be gratefully received as this is a pretty big move for us (including a 12 year old daughter & 14 year old son).

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

The crime rate in Joburg has reduced in recent years. There are still many cases of crime, but many of these are amongst people that know each other. You just have to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings, as you would in any large city.

As for schools, it is very much a subjective decision, and one you can really make after visiting the various schools in the area. Each school has a particular culture and ethos and really depends on which one resonates with you.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Thanks SepSep.

Yes after seeing London last summer I wonder which big city doesn't have these issues.

thanks again.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Hi there

The crime rate is bad but if you are cautious then you shouldn't have any problems.

You need a good alarm system, as well as an electric fence in a standalone house.

If you remain alert, drive with your windows closed and don't leave any valuables on your car seat, you really should not have any problems.

Bryanston/ Saxonwold/ Sandhurst/ Houghton are all very elite areas close to Sandton with some lovely houses.

Brescia house is a private girls' school in Bryanston, and Crawford College has a very good reputation in South Africa. Also private.

Like SepSep says, it is subjective and you would have to visit each school to see which one you (and your kids) like.

JHB is an amazing city to live in with so much to offer- we have it all- nature, shopping, restaurants, outdoor activities- all at a reasonable price!

Hope this helps.

Hasmita

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Thanks Hasmita.

Have done more research & feeling more comfortable. The next hurdle to get over is trying to find a school that has a Northern Hemisphere timetable (so Sept - August) that does GCSEs. As far as I can tell there aren't away.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Belle

x

JHB
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Hi

I very much doubt you will find a school with a Northern Hemisphere timetable.

The only alternative is to home school the kids

Will it be a huge issue to move to a Southern Hemisphere school?

Rgds

H

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

my son would be starting GCSEs and then onto A levels - its a 2 year secondment so I think we are a bit stuffed. Will keep looking.....

Thanks

B

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Charter College near Roodepoort (the other side of the Western Bypass to Sandton or Bryanston), offers an International Curriculum and Cambridge University International Examinations - which, I think, are interchageable with GCSE and A level qualifications for UK University entrance.

They also offer a three term school year.

http://www.chartercollege.co.za/info.html

Edited: 12 January 2012, 10:26
Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

Hi Van de Caab

Yes I have spoken to Charter College - they look great but their term starts in Jan. Would be fine going out but my son can't miss the 1st term of his A level course here. It's a real pain. We thought the British School might work but they have a S hem timetable as well - and NO SPORTS on their curriculum!!

Thanks for your help guys - there must be 1 school that will work!!

B

x

Paris, France
Level Contributor
863 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

The only school that has european school holiday dates is the Lyceé Jules Verne (very near to Bryanston) - problem is it would be schooling in french - they have about 800 pupils & 80 different nationalities there so might have some sort of bilingual programme so maybe worth checking out. When we were living in Bryanston (3 year contract like yourself) several people on secondments or contracts from other countries opted for the french school for the same reasons as you are specifying - education pretty similar to GCSE's, term dates that make moving from one school to another viable plus the advantage of speaking fluent french on their return!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2012 living in Jo'berg

How about looking at a GAP period (six months) between finishing in December and starting A levels the next Sept. Maybe, by then, he could stay on with one of his close South African. friends. Loads of useful stuff he could do during that time - like working with local township kids?

Then return back to UK in July/August ready to settle back to start A-levels in September.

Of course he doesn't get another parent funded GAP year between school and Uni!!

Edited: 12 January 2012, 12:27