We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

domestic terminal

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
4 posts
Save Topic
domestic terminal

I am flying into Johannesburg at 13:20 on South African Airways from Richards Bay (my ticket saysTerminal B) and will fly one of the discount airlines to Cape Town. To be safe, how much time should I allow since I will have to claim bags and check them in again?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: domestic terminal

You will need to claim your bags and check them again as the budget airlines don't do baggage interlining.

OR Tambo is a pretty good, fast modern airport, especially for domestic baggage handling. You should have your bags from the SA Express flight in less than 15 mins from touchdown. BTW the RB flight is not SAA although they use SA flight numbers.

Then just go up the escalator to Dom Departures.

However nearly all the budget airlines do on-line check-in. Kulula, 1Time and Mango do - although I am not sure about Velvet Sky. This speeds you through as you don't have to join the check-in queues at JNB.

So make sure you are checked in on-line for your JNB-CPT flight up to 24 hours ahead. You can now print out your boarding Pass for the CPT flight and take it with you. Now all you have to do is drop your bags at the fast-bag drop desk and go through security to the gate.

In most circumstances one hour would be fine. As you are already checked in they cannot bump you off the flight until all passengers have boarded - you may not have had any baggage and be the last in the line at the gate! So if your RB flight is late you will have some leeway. To be on the safe side you might like to look at 90mins. All the airlines have very frequent regular flights to Cape Town during the day - although quieter in the middle of the day.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 08:53
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: domestic terminal

I note with interest your comment about on-line check in VdeC. We used it in July and again in August. However,we were then herded into a line to drop off our baggage (at both international and domestic departures) which seemed equally as long and time consuming as those elsewhere. No express bag drop off, in fact at domestic departures we simply had to join the business class queue (bet those customers were overjoyed at ahving their queueing time extended!). It was almost as though some airlines had set up on-line check ins but had not put the whole program in place.

Have things improved?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: domestic terminal

Hi SF

I always check-in on-line for all flights.

I think the biggest problem at CPT and JNB is mostly on BA. UK travellers are now very used to checking in on-line and more do so. Also on BA it is the only way to get pre-assigned seats so more people do it. Often there are, as you say, a lot of people in the bag-drop line. SAA Bag-drop lines are much shorter, as it's not yet used so much by locals, and also on the budget airlines.

But then, as you say, if you just want to drop bags go to the Business Class - or even First Class Desks - I do!

But the shorter line is not the biggest advantage. The advantage is that you are CHECKED-IN - and before the plane takes off they have to do a physical check whether you are present and, to bump you off the plane, they have to check that there is no baggage loaded in your name. This means that you have at least a 30 mins advantage if your connecting flight is late.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 10:10
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: domestic terminal

We were travelling with SAA and Air France. Thank goodness we hadn't used BA?

I'm sure that procedures will catch up with modern technology soon though, especially now that the new terminals are well and truly up and running. Let's hope that this happens before locals catch on and make the lines even longer, eh?

5. Re: domestic terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 10:19