We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Hi - my husband and I will be arriving J'burg on 30 Sept and have possibly two nites so wondering if easy to stay at Kempton Park, hire a car and travel around of if Sandton a better option.

Also thinking of staying one night in Pretoria or would it be better just to do three in J'burg.

We then head east to Blyde River Canyon and Kruger.

Any suggestions for an overnight stop between Kruger and Durban to break up our drive?

Lastly any ideas where best to stay from Durban to East London drive - East London or option?

thanks

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Better in what sense?

Closer?

Cheaper?

More convenient?

Kempton park is close to the airport, and there are some very good hotels and lodges in the area.

Sandton is further away, and more "upmarket", very snobbish, and much more expensive.

Pretoria is a very pretty city, especially in the spring, and there are also some outstanding hotels and lodges.

Ultimately your choice

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Gavin is right. Sandton is absolutely snobish and hopelessly overpriced. If yo don'y intend using the Gautrain to Sandton, my advice, stay away! The traffic will drive you insane. Then Kempton Park is a better choice with a hotel right outside the airport building and a couple just outside the airport's borders.

Pretoria is a good idea and you have a fantastic free way to use to reach it. A drive there should take about 30 to 40 minutes but be very care full on your speed. Arrests are being made with speedsters on that strech of road, no excuses accepted.

Driving from Kruger to Durban should not require a stop over. If you feel like doin so, try to reach St Lucia then at least. From St Lucia it is straight down to Durban. Here you have two options, you can travel through Swaziland or around it. Your choice.

There is lot of towns along the N2-route from Durban to East London. But why not venture beyond East London to Port Elizabeth and down the Garden Route to Cape Town? You will fins a lot of small hotels and geusthouses on you route. I can not recoomend any specific places though, it all depend on personal choice.

I hope this help. If you need more info, let me know via TA.

Joburg
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Kempton Park is dull suburbia; Sandton is overpriced shopping malls. you'd do best to avoid both and stay somewhere interesting where you can get around on foot and see a bit oif city life - like Rosebank, Melville,. Parkview or Norwood. There is also a loft hotel at the Maboneng arts precinct on the east of the city, with lots of artists studios, cinema, gallery, bars around it. There are nice tourist activities in Joburg if you have a car to get around - Maropeng (the cradle of humankind), the Apartheis Museum, the Origins Centre, the Constitution Hill, the Rosebank African market. Pretoria is a quieter city, the bureaucratic capital so rather dull but it is a couple of degrees warmer than Joburg. One night in Pretoria and two in Jhb would be a good combination - its only a 40 minute drive between the two cities..

Joburg
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Kempton Park is dull suburbia; Sandton is overpriced shopping malls. you'd do best to avoid both and stay somewhere interesting where you can get around on foot and see a bit oif city life - like Rosebank, Melville,. Parkview or Norwood. There is also a loft hotel at the Maboneng arts precinct on the east of the city, with lots of artists studios, cinema, gallery, bars around it. There are nice tourist activities in Joburg if you have a car to get around - Maropeng (the cradle of humankind), the Apartheid Museum, the Origins Centre, the Constitution Hill, the Rosebank African market.

Joburg
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Pretoria is a quieter city, the bureaucratic capital so it's rather dull but it is a couple of degrees warmer than Joburg - good news in winter. One night in Pretoria and two in Jhb would be a good combination - its only a 40 minute drive between the two cities..

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

Kruger to Durban a stopover in St Lucia would be a good idea, take a sunset cruise on the estuaries to see hippo and croc. Quaint little rustic town for the nature lovers.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

JoburgFacey

Please remove your duplicate and also advise Kathleen v East how dangerous your beloved Johannesburg is after dark in compare with as you put it, "dull Kempton Park and bureaycratic Pretoria". Pretoria also have a lot of historical places to view, the Voortrekker Monument, the Union Buildings (created by Sir Hubard Baker), etc..

Kathleen, my suggestion will be to stay in Kempton Park from where you can cvisit the concrete jungle called Johannesburg or Pretoria. You will be closer to the airport as well.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

I would not recommend Kempton Park as an interesting place to stay - unless you want to be close to the airport. I think Rosebank is a good choice for tourists - 20 mins from the airport on the Gautrain and plenty of hotels, guesthouses, and things to do in the area. Rosebank, Parkview, etc are safe areas too.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

I wouldn't recommend staying in Kempton Park, nothing really wrong with it but it's not a very interesting part of Joburg for a tourist. It's like going to London and choosing to stay in Croydon rather than Kensington.

I second what Kelly N says. Rosebank is great, an older leafy neighbourhood where you can walk around on foot (yes, you can!). Parkview and Parkhurst are nice too, leafy, street cafes etc

Sandton is a bit boring, a huge shopping mall and lots of businesses, tourists seem to go there a lot but you don't get to experience much of the 'soul' of Joburg there.

PS. Joburg is not a concrete jungle. It's the greenest city on earth, trees are everywhere!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nites in J'burg - is Kempton Park or Sandton better?

I am living in Johannesburg but I think that the best way is that you stay in Pretoria. There is more than enough to see and do in Pretoria. I will suggest Hatfield or Arcadia to stay. The Blue Crane restaurant is very popular. I think from a practical view it is easier to do the self drive from Pretoria than from Johannesburg.

Have a wonderful time in South Africa and all the best.

Agnes

Felleng Tours