We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Living in Johannesburg

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Hi,

My company is planning to transfer me from India office to South Africa Office,Johannesburg.My office location is Midrand.My company is offering 25000 per month.In this I have to arrange accomodation,food,transport in this.Also tax i have to pay by my own.Please suggest me?

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Cost of living is not that expensive.

Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Midrand +-R5000

Travel/Transport +- R1000

Food/ Groceries for a month +- R1500

You will be taxed at about 20% of your income

You can easily save around R10000 per month.

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Thanks for the Idea.But is it secure to rely on public transport?

If I plan to take an rented car with driver on monthly basis,what would be the cost?

Also the apartment you are mentioned is furnished?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

R25.000 will give a normal living, nothing extraordinary, but ok.

You definitely will NOT be able to finance a rented car and driver on that income.

Klaus

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Thanks,

As i heared public transport for immegrants is not secure.

So how to overcome from the situation?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Why dont you want to drive yourself? Buy a cheap car which you can sell once you leave the country again.

You need a car anyway if you want to do something and not be always home and/or office bound.

Klaus

Delhi, Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

Klaus

I dont know the drive.Here in India we are using public transport.That why I asking about all this.

If I am unable to purchase an cheap car.What can else we arrange for it?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

OK your options in order of viability are:

(1) Make getting a driver's licence your #1 urgent-and-important goal in the next couple of months. Then acquire a vehicle when you get here. Buy one as Klaus suggests, or rent one (and sorry, I don't know where or how). The Indian expats I work with all have hire cars supplied by their employer, often sharing one car between two or three people staying in the same flat. Perhaps you could negotiate for your employer to pay all or part of car hire? But btw, R25k is an adequate middle-class monthly income - millions of South Africans lead perfectly respectable lives on far less - so if you have to spend more on transport and tighten your belt in other ways, well so be it.

(2) Hope that there is accommodation across the road from the office and that there is a supermarket within walking distance. And never go anywhere else.

(3) Use public transport, which AFIK in Midrand would be minibus taxis - often unroadworthy, overcrowded and irresponsibly driven. And regrettably I have to agree about the possibility of your being at the receiving end of xenophobic unpleasantness or worse.

Forget about the car-and-driver idea - even if you could afford it, you would look a right dork swanning to the office and the supermarket behind a chauffeur. It would be deemed pretentious and as such probably be a barrier to your fitting in.

The best advice I can give is, Learn to drive. Sorry, but that's the deal.

PS: Any particular reason for the change of username?

Delhi, Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

No reason

9. Re: Cost of Living in Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg