We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

After a 10 day safari in Kenya-Tanzania, we will be reaching Johannesburg by last week of July. After 2 days in Johannesburg, we will visit Victoria Falls (2-3 days). After that, I still have 4-5 days to visit Drakenburg.

Initially, I had thought of visiting the Central Drakenburg (2 days) and proceed to Durban for 2 days and then take the train back to Johannesburg, to catch my return flight.

But, after reading the posts here, I am excited to visit Northern Drakenburg as well. If needed, I can skip Durban altogether. Both of us can do some day hikes (5-7 miles, 3-4 hours is ideal)

1. Can you please suggest itinerary? Can you also please suggest some budget places to stay? It need not be fancy but it should be comfortable. I am more concerned about the cold.

2. Is it better for me to rent the car for this leg of 5 days? Or, is it very easy to go from a place to a place (from JoBerg to Northern Berg to Central Berg) easy with private or public transport?

3. How cold does it get? Is a jacket, jeans pant and gloves enough? or, do we need more serious winter gear?

4. Any safety tips? As such we have done a fair amount of independent travel in South and Central America, most recently to Galapagos.

Thank you.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

Better is to rent a car, it is about a 4 hours drive. Hire an auromatic, as we drive on the left side of the road!Public transport is not there.

It is winter and cold in the Drakensbergen, snow is on the top. So for sure to take some winter cloting with you.

www.sleepingout.co.za or www.safinow.com are good website to find accomodation.

Take the normal safety standards and you will be fine!

cheers, Annemieke

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

Many Berg hotels are very family-friendly. My favourite in the Northern Berg is www.cavern.co.za

Also look at www.drakensberg-tourism.com/

Accommodation site mentioned above is actually safarinow.com

atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

Thank you for the replies.

In order to rent a car, and drive in South Africa, will a USA driver's licence enough? Or do I have to have some sort of International driver's licence?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

It can be enought. (=written in English)

Sometimes the rental car comp. can ask for an international one!

5. Re: Johannesburg to Drakensburg with a 11 year - need help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg