We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

My wife & I have arranged for a driver in the JoBurg area for 7-8 daytime hours after our return from safari. My daughter and her friend have never been to Africa before and want to spend time shopping for Arts and Crafts type things and maybe see a little local scenery and flavor along the way. I have looked at Chameleon Village and the Bruma Lake Flea Market as well as the Hoorvertsport Dam area. We will be doing this on a Friday before our flight back to the US. We could use some help with ideas. Thank you.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

Pity it's a Friday because that eliminates the Bryanston Market as well as all the weekend ones. I don't think the Bruma market is there any longer. African Craft Market in Rosebank would be a substitute. Can't comment on Hartebeespoort - haven't been there for a long time. If you're interested in going upmarket, Hyde Park mall and the Firs in Rosebank both have several shops showcasing various flavours of South African design. www.hydeparkshopping.co.za and www.thefirs.co.za . Nice open-air restaurants at the Firs too.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

I have been to both The African Craft Market at Rosebank and Chameleon village and would recommend them both. They both have a really good selection of gifts, household goods etc.

If you want to stay within the city head to the African craft market. Chameleon village is located in them uh more visually attractiveBarea of Hartebeespoort so you can always choose to do something else in the areaBafterwards.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

The Bruma Flea market no longer exists. Where it used to be is a massive construction site at the moment ( I drive past it almost every day)

The best place to buy African crafts, at the very best prices, is at Cambanos & Son,

34 Richards Drive

Opposite Gallagher Estate

Halfway House, Midrand

cambanos.com/african-art-and-african-curios-…

Another good place is Amatuli Fine Art.... in Kramerville. They actually supply a lot of artifacts to the Rosebank craft market, so their prices are better.

joburg.co.za/Templates/…

I have no connection with either company, Just having taken clients there many times, and they were always extremely pleased I did!

Edited: 06 October 2012, 08:00
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
661 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

There are several curio stands outside the Hector Peterson Museum in Soweto. You'll then be able to witness life in South Africa's largest township, and if time allows, see a very interesting interactive exhibition inside the museum, take a few pics of the Hector Peterson Memorial outside, and then have some opportunity to buy some arts and crafts, all at one stop.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

bracelets, perhaps more user frriendly items would candles, cutlery and crockery that are designed and made in africa, theres also carpets made of animal hide, wooden animal sculptures etc...

visit the craft market in rosebank.. if you are visiting kruger park(mpumalanga) - this is where most safari's are, the same traditional african items will be much cheaper and authentic as the craft market does charge a premium! the craft market is in the ROSEBANK shopping mall, anyone and everyone can direct you here, from the airport your best bet is to use the gautrain as they have a stop at the mall. the craftmarket is open 7 days a week and the sunday rooftop market is open on sundays. visit rosebank anyway, there cool restaurants.

Melbourne...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

Gavin - I visited Amatuli this year on a quick trip to Johannesburg, and plan to shop there again when I return next year! Are the prices better at their store, or would I be better shopping at the Sunday market in Rosebank?

Thanks, Wendy

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

Hi, just to mention to Wendy regarding Amatuli - i take clients there on a regular basis. The type of merchandise is very different to the Sunday Rosebank Market. Firstly Amatuli stock larger items for decorators, whereas, the Rosebank market have smaller items, and not of the same quality. Prices will be cheaper at the Rosebank Market. For buying all types of smaller gifts, try ArtAfrica at 62 Tyrone Ave, Parktown. I took ladies from America last month, and was very impressed with their selection, very reasonably priced, AND the most important, was that they support poverty alleviation projects, mainly women's groups who rely on your support.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Melbourne...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

Thank you so much Lyn! I have found your website & will be in touch regarding some tours & possible transfers for my trip next year.

Regards, Wendy

9. Re: Shopping for Arts & Crafts in JoBurg Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:18