We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

Can anyone recommend a safari option for Kruger park 02-05 March? I am also considering traveling to Nairobi from 08 March but so far everything I have found is very expensive.

I am traveling alone on a budget around a business trip.On my own I do not dare to rent a car as I am sure to get lost and ignorantly end up in trouble.

This is my first time in South Africa and it seems a pity not to add a few extra days to discover at least something of the region

Many thanks for your advice.

Edited: 23 February 2013, 19:53
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

Just wondering, what were you planning on doing in Nairobi? Nairobi National PArk? Karen Blixen? etc

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

If you aren't keen on renting a car I would consider getting a transfer via Ashton's Shuttle or similar to Hazyview. If you google accommodation options for Hazyview you will find there are many places for all budgets From there you can access day tours into Kruger - there are a number of operators.

Alternatively there may be organised 3 night tours which utilise Sanparks accommodation. Again, a google search should throw up a number of mid priced options.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

You can fly to Nelspruit, then travel by car transferred to your hotel on the banks of the large river which borders the Kruger Park. Flights leave late afternoon and you arrive early evening at the lodge. The next day at around 5am you do a full day game drive into the Kruger National Park with an open vehicle and game ranger. You return around 4pm for overnight at the lodge. The next day you can enjoy another game drive for the whole day. You can either depart that late afternoon on a flight back to Joburg or relax at the lodge for overnight and leave the next day at your leisure. So it can be done, without you having to drive around at all. You would have to fly return to Nelspruit, return road transfer to the lodge, 2 or 3 nights accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, and 2 full day game drives with a ranger in the Kruger National park. Just for you to get some idea if you are traveling alone.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

Nairobi has long been on my wish list and I wanted to see the sand dunes, skeleton beach etc. Actually here I was looking at 12 days trips going around the whole country.

Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

thank you. I shall google as suggested.

Geneva, Switzerland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

thank you. I shall look into this as soon as my long-haul flights are confirmed.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

I think you mean Namibia not Nairobi.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

Well then you mean Namiba, there are the sand dunes.. You can fake a plane to windhoek, ir is 2 hour flight.

9. Re: Johannesburg - 3 day safari Kurger Park and/or longeNairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:15