We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Luggage Theft a Big and Ongoing Problem at O R Tambo Airport in Johannesburg

http://www.causes.com/causes/814852-stop-luggage-theft-at-o-r-tambo-airport-johannesburg-south-africa?query=O+r+tambo+theft&rank=0&utm_campaign=search

Click or copy and paste the URL above if you have been or know a victim of luggage theft at O R Tambo airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. It leads to a website that hopes to spur South African Airways and airport authorities into doing something about such theft, the frequency of which seems to have been public knowledge for a while now.

Baggage theft is brazen and rampant at O R Tambo airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. Please help stop more travelers from becoming victims. You could be one of them. South African Airways, in whose custody the luggage often is when lost, and airport authorities appear not to be taking action about this anytime soon. It has proven difficult to even contact SAA to file a claim. A telephone number for the Lost Baggage Dept given to me by an airline representative was a voicemail that requested one to leave a name, number and statement. The message stated that the calls are monitored regularly and response prompt. Well, after leaving three or four messages and repeated calls hoping to talk to a real peron, I gave up. Five days later I still haven't heard from them!

118 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
24 reviews
111. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Wow! This thread was started in 2013 and 5 years on the problem persists!

In my 30 years of travels I've never had a suitcase messed with, until two weeks ago at JNB. Nothing missing though as I packed mostly dirty underwear in my checked luggage.

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
3 posts
112 reviews
112. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

I lived in Johannesburg for 4 years with frequent travel and did not ever lose stuff....well until yesterday, we recently returned for a visit and I had the kids potties, dirty shoes and my toilet bag in this one bag, when we got home, my large toilet bag was missing, it had 2 perfumes (have since found out that perfumes are hot cakes), lotions, jellies, toothbrushes, make up and other small personal items...what's funny is that in the same bag, I had a smaller woolies bag with newly bought shoes for my daughter and I and that was not touched...this problem has been around for many years....some airports have been able to end this problem, some conduct searches on luggage handlers including CCTV, what is O.R Tambo doing about this???

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
3 posts
112 reviews
113. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

GM2009milano,

Good for you if you have never lost anything at O.R. Tambo, let others who have vent..there's clearly a huge problem there for a couple of years now. Some items e.g. perfumes must be checked but will still be stolen, the best thing to do is to create awareness, warn others and report to the concerned airlines.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3 posts
173 reviews
114. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Saw this happen twice in 2 months. Forget the locks. They cut opened the suitcases at the zippers. Both times flights to and from OR.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
323 reviews
115. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

We flew home from Jo'burg a couple of months ago. When we got home and opened our suitcase, looked like a bomb had hit them. I mean yeah I know stuff moves around in transit, but both our very neatly packed and very full suitcases (so not a lot of wiggle room for stuff to move) looked like a 5 year old had packed them, and in a hurry. Stuff all mixed up, stuff pulled out of bags, shoes where undies were, etc etc. So we both though "uh oh, wonder what's missing?", but the funny (and relieving) part, is that nothing was taken. So I guess our old clothes, and a few cheap souvenirs just didn't appeal to any of the baggage handles.

Phew!!

11 posts
116. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Gosh, the experiences shared here are scary.

I am travelling to Gauteng next month from India. Is there anything I can do to minimize the risk? It seems the locks present on my suitcase will be insufficient.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,468 posts
62 reviews
117. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Don't put anything valuable in the suitcase. It is that simple.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
56 reviews
118. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Exactly. I do not put anything valuable in check in luggage with any airline anywhere in the world.

Reply to: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg