We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Godalming
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Hi, I believe my family and I (inc two teenagers) will be waiting for a flight for up to 6 hours in August when about to fly back to UK after our first SA holiday. We would like to make use of the time to get out and do something there, which is safe, like visit the Apartheid Museum, but it seems it is half an hour away and wondered if you could give me an idea whether this is feasible/how much it might cost by taxi? Or any other ideas as to what to do in this time?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Hello, yes this is possible - you could visit the Apartheid Museum or Soweto township and it is quite safe if you travel with a Tourist Guide. Avoid using illegal taxis. There is a "Go as you Please" which lasts around 4 hours with a pick up and drop off at the airport. Contact Johan at www.africantimeout.co.za and he will give you some information regarding costs.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

2. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 20:35
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

The Apartheid Museum, and Soweto tours are safe, even if you do not go with a tourist guide!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

I do not think that Soweto and the Apartheid museum is possible both on one day. Either Soweto or Apartheid museum. The museum is very intense and takes about 3 hours to go through. This you can do the best to take a taxi to drop you off at the museum. This will be the cheapest way to do it.

Soweto i suggest that you take a guide to go through Soweto. They will take you to the best places and will get you on time back at the airport.

Agnes - Felleng Tours

Godalming
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Thanks so much, will check these out. Have some qualms about visiting Soweto. On one side want to see all authentic sides of South Africa

but on the other don't want to be voyeuristic. Could anyone give me a feel of a trip there please?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

I love Soweto more than the Apartheid museum.

Soweto is not only touristic. There are a lot of places that tourist are not going to but is very interesting. I think the most places in Soweto where there are a lot of tourist is at the Mandela House and the Hector Peterson museum. Soweto you have the opportunity to meet some local people.

The Apartheid museum is just a big museum and you do have to do a lot of reading and can be trying.

All the best

Agnes

Godalming
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

that sounds helpful, thanks again Agnes

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

If you still have some qualms about visiting Soweto, i had a guest recently from New York who was told by her friends that she was mad to visit South Africa because it was unsafe, dreadful, etc. She was walking down Vilakazi Street, in Soweto, chatting to the local people, and stopped for a cup of coffee, browsed through the curio stalls and said she COULD NOT BELIEVE she was walking down the street in this neighbourhood. She said she felt so safe, and found the local people welcoming and warm. It is the most popular tour, hundreds of tourists visit there every week. It is well worth a visit.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Another suggestion is a "Go as you Please" which lasts about 4 hours. But you must also consider the time. If during the day, no problem.But if during peak hours, it may well be a waste of time. If you go as you please, you drive from the airport, through Soweto, without stopping, around the city of Johannesburg, which is the old downtown, then on to the new downtown of Sandton and back to the airport.

Godalming
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do with 5/6 hours at Oliver Tambo Airport, August

Thank you Lyn, I was wondering what 'Go as you please' meant. Very helpful.