We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical & Cultural Must See

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Historical & Cultural Must See

I will be spending two-four days in Johannesburg prior to a volunteer job in Zambia. I would like to see some of the historical and culture "must sees" while in Johannesburg. What are the "must see/do" that aren't wildlife related?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

In no particular order, for cultural and historical experiences, you "must see"

The Cradle of Humankind ( Maropeng and Sterkfontein)

Lesedi Cultural Village

Soweto

Apartheid Museum

The Origins Centre

University of the Witwatersrand Art Gallery

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

Hello, the most popular full day tours are:-

Soweto and Apartheid museum - You will visit the Nelson Mandela museum which was the house where he lived, the Hector Pietersen Museum which is the museum dedicated to the young boy shot by police during the 1976 student uprising and then a good overview of the township. You can lunch on traditional African food, then spend the afternoon at the Apartheid Museum which showcases by photos and videos the story of Apartheid history.

Next: Johannesburg City tour which includes Constitution Hill and City Centre, afternoon tour of the Gold Mine with an underground tour with a gold pour.

Next: Drive out into the country and visit the Lesedi Cultural Village to see the AFrican villages, and then a colourful singing and dancing display. After visit the Cradle of Humankind at Sterkfontein Museum. Here you visit the caves, and the museum of the world's best fossil area, display of not only bi-pedal hominid fossils but extinct animals as well.

those are the 3 best full day tours, you can also visit Pretoria City, Diamond mine tour and Sun city.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
666 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

there's also a self-drive tour of Soweto in the Tripadvisor FAQs you can search for

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

I would HIGHLY recommend the Cradle of Humankind and the Sterkfontein Caves!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

Lilliesleaf Farm; Satyagraha House; Newtown including Museumafrika and the Market Theatre.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

Diamond mine and Pretoria tour is very nice to visit. Soweto and the Apartheid museum.

Agnes - Felleng tours

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

Thank you for this information everyone. Looks like I have a lot of research to do! I will not be able to do self-drive. Are there actual tours I could join or will I need to hire a driver? Also where should I stay to see all of these great things. I will arrive late afternoon on 6 July and will need to be at the airport in the morning of 10 July. So just have the days in-between to see everything.

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
106 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

Hello, I am a solo female traveler who will be in Johannesburg next month and I too, am looking for "must see/do" for a free day that I will have in Johannesburg. AndreaRae13, what did you end up doing? Did you hire a driver? If so, do you (or anyone out there) have a recommendation for a driver? Thank you in advance!

9. Re: Historical & Cultural Must See

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:19