We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental through broker

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental through broker

Hello,

I'll be renting a car in Johannesburg in June for two weeks, and I'm thinking about using a broker like Izzi Car Hire or CarHire3000.com. They have good prices and seem to have good reviews. I've never rented through the broker, so I'm a little cautious.

I wonder - when I rent through them from Hertz, for instance, will they give me the Hertz confirmation number so I can go to Hertz.com and find my reservation there, like when I rent through Expedia or Orbitz?

Just trying to figure out is it a good idea to use broker or it's better to pay some more and play it safe.

Thank you.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental through broker

I have used brokers including carhire3000.com and aroundaboutcars.com with no problems at all. The cars were collected from Europcar and Thrifty (with a confirmation emailed to me), just as you would if you booked direct. In all cases we didn't receive the final details of the hire company and confirmation until we paid our balance about a month prior to travel.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental through broker

Thank you, I'll probably try too.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental through broker

We always use a broker (usually carhire3000) and have never had a problem. I know of folks that think they have made a booking but have only requested a quote so make sure you get a confirmation email. Compare the terms and conditions as that is usually why the same car capper with a couple of different prices. all in all usually significant savings to be made compared to booking direct and the service is the same on the ground.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental through broker

Thank you, I'll try this time. So far carhire3000 looks the best.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental through broker

Just a note, I have used Carhire 3000 in the past, in fact I used them for my three week holiday in South Africa and they were fine with no problems at all. Picked up a car from Hertz in Cape Town and dropped off in Johannesberg and saved a packet.

However, they have now had a name change and go by the new title of rentalcars.com (same company as Booking.com the hotel booking agency.

If you check other sites it appears that their standards maybe slipping. Lots of negative and downright hostile feedback. Maybe worth checking.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental through broker

Thank you. If I'm not mistaken Booking.com belongs to Priceline.

I had checked rentalcars.com, and their prices are way higher than Carhire 3000 has. So if they are the same company now - they prices are still different.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental through broker

With reference to the above I could be wrong but I believe that Booking.com and Priceline are the same. Also that rentalcars.com is the new title for carhire 3000.

As I have said in a previous post I have used carhire 3000 before with absolutely no problems what so ever. I have also used booking.com many times to book hotels with once again no problems.

I thought it prudent to point out however that there maybe concerns over rentalcars.com.

I am at present looking to book a hired car for Australia. My initial intention was to book with rentalcars.com. Since reading these negative reports however I just point out that I do have concerns and have not as yet booked.

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental through broker

You are correct, they are all under Priceline now, it says on carhire3000 web site.

Me too, I was using Booking.com and Priceline many times with no issues. I think I'll try carhire3000. It still suprises me that the prices of carhire3000 and rentalcars.com are so different.

There is a post here dated back to 2011 on this subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k500…

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental through broker

Hi

Another broker to look at is argus car hire. We used them for our last trip, as they were cheaper than carhire3000. No issues and the car was from Avis

Lisa

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental through broker

Thank you.

It seems that the negative broker reviews are coming mostly from Europe and the US, most reviews from South Africa are positive.