We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

Hi,

I am a lone travellers and would like to do a tour of johannesburg / pretoria / soweto during a one day stay. has anyone had any experience with LBK tours and Travels? can anyone recommend it? They have given me a good quote, but I am quite wary of travelling on my own and would like to go with a trusted company.

Any info would be really appreciated. thanks,

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

I don't know the company personally, but I have to say this:

They are quite well known, and you should be safe

Doing Soweto, Johannesburg, and Pretoria, all in one day, however, is really "pushing it".

Doing all three in one day is going to mean a very rushed tour, with minimal time at the places of interest, or even missing some altogether.

A typical Soweto tour, would consist of;

Visiting Walter Sisulu Square ..30 minutes, Regina Mundi Church... 30 minutes , Mandela House 30 minutes , Hector Pieterson Museum ..45 minutes.

Drive past Baragwanath Hospital, Winnie Mandela's house, The University, the Orlando Power Station ( Orlando Towers) etc.

This would take a minimum 2 1/4 hours, excluding driving time.. about another hour.

In addition, Soweto is 10 Km South west of Johannesburg, so it takes some time to get there and back.

About 4 hours total.

A typical Johannesburg tour would consist of;

Drive through Northern Suburbs, see Mandela's Houghton house, and View the Northern suburbs from a high view point. 30 minutes

Skirt Hillbrow, and visit the Constitutional Hill Complex 1 hour.

Drive into down town, over the Nelson Mandela Suspension Bridge and ascend the Carlton Centre, tallest building in Africa, for a bird's eye panoramic view of Johannesburg about 45 minutes.

Drive down Commissioner Street, and see the Rand Club, the old Standard Bank, The Corner House, and Newtown, with Mary Fitzgerald Square, the famous statue of Brenda Fassie and see urban renewal in the area.

Optional visit to Museum Africa.

Total, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

There are many other options, like the Origins Centre, etc, but the above are the most popular

For example, my typical tour of Pretoria would cover the following:

Voortrekker Monument, at least 1 hour

Fort Skanskop at least 1 hour

Paul Kruger house, about 45 minutes

Church Square about 15 minutes.

Melrose House, 45 minutes.

Union Buildings about 30 minutes

There are other Options, like the Natural History Museum, The cultural museum, The Air force Museum, Sammy Marks Museum, Smuts house museum, etc etc, but the above are the most popular

This is about 4 hours, without adding travelling time..... it is 50 Km between Johannesburg and Pretoria, so getting there and back must be added in, about 45 minutes each way, bringing the total for Pretoria to about 5 1/2 hours including travelling from Johannesburg, and back.

To pack this all into one day, and we have yet to factor in a lunch stop ....Wow!

Enjoy it if you can do it

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

wow thank ou for your reply - I am actually only in the country for approx 1 and half days so I don't have much time.

My tours with LBK will be three seperate tours: I am doing pretoria on a half day, and then johannesburg and Soweto on a full day - which hopefully will give me enough time.

But I really like your suggestions and tell my tourguide to use it.

anymore thoughts on LBK tours are really appreciated!!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

Hi,

sorry, I thought from your original post you were contemplating doing all three on one day!

A Half Day Pretoria, and then a full day Johannesburg and Soweto on another day would work fine.

enjoy!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

Hi curioustraveller104, I'm curious as to how your experience with LBK Tours went. I'm also planning to take a tour with them as the provide good rates. Would appreciate your feedback.

West Buckland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

Hello,

We used LBK for the Johannesburg tour about two weeks ago - the driver was prompt, courteous, knowledgeable and funny. The tour was diverse and showed all aspects of Joburg, not just the tourist parts. He was happy to answer all of our questions, and even stopped for us to grab a bite to eat because we'd just got off our flight. I would be very happy to recommend them.

6. Re: LBK tours - can anyone recommend it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17