We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg airport

texas
Level Contributor
1 post
129 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg airport

we arrive to OR tambo at 0840 am. by Lufthansa. Taking another flight at 1140 am by British airways at 1145 am to victoria falls. Hoping to make the connection. Any advise as to how fast we can move through customs and immigration.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg airport

Should be fine. last trip (Sept) ex Sydney via Perth to Jo flying SAA into OT at 6. 15 am arrival. Cleared the formalities within 20 minutes. Sim card at Vodashop then Avis car at 7 am on way up north . Very Impressive, later morning flights may take longer processng but am sure your time frame very adequate for next flight,

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg airport

That will be fine. Joburg airport is big but not huge. I have only once had to queue and it was public holiday. So there shouldn't be any problems.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
986 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg airport

I think you will be Ok - OR Tambo is no Heathrow where we nearly missed our flight due to the flight being late and then having to run like crazy through the different terminals... I'm sure you will be fine assuming the first flight is on time. There are only two terminals A and B (or 1 and 2) in the international side and they are close to one another.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg airport

Hello, you arrive downstairs in Arivals hall A, then your departure is just two escalator rides up to the departures and a short walk. The only problem is that sometimes there are a few flights that all arrive at the same time and your next flight is a regional and not domestic flight. Fortunately you dont have far to go.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Taupo
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg airport

Flying from Auckland, New Zealand to Livingstone, Zambia, via Perth and J'burg . All with South African Airlines. Getting a bit confused as to whether I have to pick up my bags or if I can check them straight through and whether I have to go through customs and/or immigration in Johannesburg. Can somebody please advise?

Many thanks.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johannesburg airport

FOR EshTp - Yes, you will go through Immigration when you arrive at Johannesburg and claim your bags and then re-check them. I expect you will have to then take them with you to the International Departures area and check them at the same time you check in for the flight to Livingstone.

And though the Airport Authority gives different names to different terminals - they are really all one big space. You never leave one to go to the next one. From the time you exit International Arrivals on the Ground Floor until you are at the counter to check in for the flight to LVI, up on the next level - hardly 5 minutes.

Taupo
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Johannesburg airport

to Bwanadave: Thanks for your reply but this is the opposite of what Don from Topaz Safaris says in a different post to answer a similar question from somebody else. Quote: " Because you are connecting to an International flight AND because you are connecting on the same airline you do not have to collect your bags in JNB and do not have to go through immigration. Follow the International Connections sign, go through passport and security check and you will be in the International Departures hall".

Hence my confusion! Can anybody else shed some light on this?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johannesburg airport

Don may be correct. I rarely use SA for flights to Vic Falls or Livingstone and I guess I was wrong about the procedure when you are on SA all the way. When I look back to one trip where I came from the US on SA and changed planes at JNB to fly SA to Nairobi - I do not remember whether I just did the Transit, or not. Probably did. Thanks.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 15:49
9. Re: Johannesburg airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 06:20