We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

I am getting a BA flight from Heathrow to Johannesburg, arriving at 9.05AM. I am then transferring to a Comair flight to Port Elizabeth at 11.10AM.

I was wondering if this leaves enough time to clear customs, re-check in etc? I called BA and they said it would be fine, but will this definitely be the case? Also will my luggage be automatically transferred from the BA flight to the Comair one, or will I need to do this myself?

Also any other advice about transiting through OR Tambo would be appreciated, e.g shrink-wrapping, check-in desks, customs etc?

Cheers.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

I think you will have enough time, but only just.

Many international flights land in the morning, so immigration and customs are usually quite busy at that time.

From touchdown, to emerging "landside' off an international flight, after immigration, customs, etc, can take about 1 hour.

You will need to collect your luggage, and recheck for your local flight, because JNB is you "port of entry".

So, if you land at 09:05, you will be on the "landside' about 10;00 AM.

You need to check in about 1 hour before a domestic flight ( Comair operates as BA, locally).

You will need to go up two levels, and walk about 500 metres to the BA check in for local flights, at the far end of terminal B ( all under the same roof, and very easy, and well signposted, or just ask anyone wearing a "Hi visibility" vest).

This should not take more than 5 to 10 minutes, so you should be OK, unless your incoming international flight is seriously delayed.

enjoy your visit.

Gavin

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

That is VERY tight - but not impossible

Providing your BA flight arrives on time, you should be cleared Immigration and Baggage by 10.00 - then a quick walk to Domestic Departures to check in for your Comair flight (need to check-in .by 10.30 latest)

Unfortunately the rules are that you have to collect your baggage on arrival in RSA and recheck it for your domestic flight

The problem will arise if you BA flight is delayed or put into holding.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

You will come out of International Baggage Claim onto the ground floor of the Terminals.. You need to walk to your left and take an elevator up to Level 2. What you are calling Comair is actually British Airways, and their check-in counters will be the last ones you will come to. If you check in with some time to spare, I would suggest returning to one of the lower floors and obtaining some South Africa rand from an ATM. But might not be time for that.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

4. Re: Heathrow - OR Tambo - Port Elizabeth Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:19