We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg

We are going on a safari but before and after spending a few days in Johannesburg. We are looking for suggestions on where to stay (we will not have a car) and what to see in the area. Our first time. We are going in December.

Felleng Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Pilanesberg Safaris and Tours
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Ekala Eco Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Johannesburg

We are from the US and will be arriving after midnight at the Johannesburg airport. What is the best way to go from the airport to the Hilton Hotel in Sandton.

Also, what day trips from Johannesburg would you recommendation taking.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Johannesburg

Snoopuppy,

The Hilton should have a shuttle service.

Check with the hotel.

You may have to book ahead of time

Atlanta
Level Contributor
912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Johannesburg

If one does not wish to rent a car, what would you suggest as a way to visit the Cradle of Mankind. I know there are tours to Soweto, maybe to Cradle, but with a large family this will be expensive. Is it possible to hire a private driver to pick up in, say, a minivan? We will have a friend with us who grew up in SA to provide the relevant history, etc.

I think we will stay in Rosebank, as it has been suggested by several people. Sounds like we can take the Gautrain (even with children) from JNB airport. yes?

Mentioned in this post
Soweto
Soweto
Gautrain
Gautrain
4,984 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Johannesburg

You can take the Gautrain from OR Tambo International Airport to Rosebank.

You will need to change trains at Sandton.

Remember, the Gautrain operates only between 05h30 and 21h00.

Your best bet, for the Cradle of Humankind, would be to hire a driver/tourist guide, to take you to the area in an appropriate vehicle.

Going with a friend who grew up in SA will not necessarily provide you with the most up to date, most accurate, information, and history ( unless your friend is a tourist guide, or has frequent visits to the "Cradle".

Not to disparage your friend, BUT, believe me, I thought I knew my city, having been born, grown up and lived, in and near Johannesburg for my whole life.

It was only when I undertook the training in order to become a tourist guide, that I realised how little I really knew about my city!

Enjoy your visit !

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
4,984 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Sandton
Sandton
Atlanta
Level Contributor
912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Johannesburg

Thanks for the advice, Gavin. Much appreciated! And point well-taken as regards a guide vs a resident. In this case, the friend is a professor of South African history, so I'm thinking he'll be able to provide adequate help, if not the more "tourist" interest information offered by a guide. But I also like the idea of a guide for particular outings. What always has amazed me about my own life is that I often know more about places I've visited than places in my own city. I should start being a tourist in my backyard.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Johannesburg

What did you end up doing? I will be taking my daughter in July for only 2 days on Joburg and looking for a few things not to miss.....where and with who did you safari?

Thanks

17. Re: Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:18