We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

Hi,

We arrive at 5:30am at Terminal A on a Friday morning and have a connecting flight to Cape Town at 7:25am from Terminal B.

Do you think we will have sufficient time to clear customs & immigration and get to domestic airport for time to check in??

I have read posts that J'burg airport can take ages to process you.

Thoughts please on if I need to change to later flight.

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

From that arrival time I am guessing that is the SAA flight ex Perth which I was on last September. There are very few other flights coinciding at that early hour so we cleared customs and immigration within 30 minutes, got phone cards, collected Avis vehicle all done and dusted within 50 minutes. Unless there is some untoward event I think you will be ok.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

The domestic check in area is in terminal B this terminal is about a 5 minute walk away from Terminal A international arrivals, two stories up, all in the same building.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
179 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

You should be absolutely fine. In my recent international trips, I find that dis-embarking is quick, and customs painless. Try to ensure that your baggage is checked through to final destination. Everyone is quite friendly and helpful too, and so if you ask to get further up the line due to transit, you will find that most are oblliging.

If possible, see if you can check in online before you leave your last area where you will have access to internet. This will help you then just do a "bagddrop" and give you a little more breathing space. Maybe a friend/family member can do this for you.

From Terminal A - Terminal B should be a 5-min fast week, providing you have no "disabilities". :) :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

He cant check through ............the point of disembarking is OT the point of landing Joburg then its domestic to CT

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

Hoping that your arrival flight lands on time, then you will be good for the departing flight to Cape Town.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

Thanks for your responses guys.

Wolery, if bags are checked through wouldn't that mean we would have to go through customs in CT?

Is there a transit lounge for onward flights or does everyone have to go through immigration at Tambo then take internal flight to destination within SA?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

SAA co badged with Qantas lands within plus minus 30 minutes but usually on time having done trip a lot so am sure no prob.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

You will go through Customs etc. You arent in transit perhaps wrong advice is misleading you ~~ There isnt a transit lounge you can use unless you have Gold memberships to the airline you will be flying domestically

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

You will go through security at both but no customs CT

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2hrs enough time to get connecting flight to CT?

Ok thanks everyone, I think I posted my response at same time as others.

I will go through immigration & customs at Tambo then head to domestic for flight to CT. I will just hope we have a tail wind :)

Regards

Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg