We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon in Joburg

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon in Joburg

Morning all,

We are staying probably on site at Tambo airport for 24 hours due to flight connections before onward travel to the Kruger! Does anyone recommend an afternoon tour? Or anything else? Will be travelling in MArch 2014

Forgot to add we have no car or kids

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Hello, yes it is possible to be collected from the airport and do a tour. But, take into consideration what time you arrive at the airport. If you arrive late afternoon, then it would be too late to take a drive, say into Soweto, traffic would be bad. So if you are there daytime. then lots to do. Cultural village, walk with elephants and Hominid musem in one day.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Also consider not staying at the aiport for the 24 hours. We have a rapid train from the airport to Sandton and Rosebank. You'll have lots more options of activities. I personally would not want to spend 24 hours at OR Tambo (not much to do around) and then spend some time stuck in traffic to/from airport on a tour.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

thanks

is the train easy to do? and whats at the end of the line?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Plenty info on www.gautrain.co.za

Train takes 15 mins from airport to Sandton (with 2 stops in between). Rosebank is a further 2 mins from Sandton, although you'll have to change trains at Sandton and there might be a time gap between the 2 trains. First train around 5:30, last train leaves Sandton for aiport at 8:30pm.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Thanks

What would you recommend to do in either sandy on or rose bank

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

There are shops and restaurants, not any sights to see. Rosebank has an AFrican craft market and shops and restaurants. Sandton has Nelson Mandela Square with lot of restaurants. So no reall sights at all.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

We always transit in Sandton for an overnight between flying in from US/Europe and continuing on for safari.

We stay at the Sandton Hilton (since I belong to the HHonors and use points for a free room). We like Sandton since it is safe, any needed tours can be arranged, there is the big mall with plenty of restaurants.

You can easily take the train from the airport to Sandton. There are many hotels within walking distance of the train station (which is attached to the Mall). We usually arrange a driver from the hotel to pick us up, as 3 of us travel together and the prearranged car service costs about the same as 3 train tickets.

We never get a car in JNB and although I have no kids, I am traveling with my two parents. We like the rest away from the airport after the long flights and before we start our safari.

Hope this is helpful.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Thanks for the advice..even more to hint about! Do you ever use the train? Either to the hotel or airport?

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Hi,

Yes I have used the train several times, both directions. It is very easy to use. Well sign posted at the airport, only one train to get on to go to Sandton. You will need to buy a train card and then add money for the fare. I believe that you can use a credit card at the airport.

Look at the above link to show you all details. Train is safe, but there are safety monitors, who can seem a little off putting (at least to me). They do not allow any food or gum chewing on the train and heavily enforce the rules.

The only reason we usually use a car service is they meet you inside the airport and move all the luggage for you. It also takes you door to door, but it makes sense for 3 of us.

The train is a very nice, new, high speed train, great to getting to/from Sandton. I do reccomend it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon in Joburg

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to South africa at the end of November, first stop would be Johannsberg, staying at Radisson near the train, would be there for a day, what is a good tour full to see the important sights in Johann.................then i flew to HDS for a safari for 3 days, upon return I am staying in a B&B in Swetto, any ideas while in Swetto, Hubby is a little concerned staying in a B&B in Swetto, but i feel it would be more of a african feel to converse and hang out with people than staying in a hotel........................thanks