We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Johannesburg ..

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Johannesburg ..

Hi,

My wife, kids and I will visit Johannesburg in Jan 2013 and will stay for 2 weeks. Is it safe area for family ? Any advice for places to visit (we love nature and Safari ) ? Can I drive and use GPS or I should hire a driver and tour guide ?

Thanks,

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

Are you just going to Jhb? It's my birthplace and I'm very fond of it - and yes of course there's stuff to do - but it's hardly our premier holiday destination. Somewhere at the coast or in the mountains perhaps?

Lots of people here have families and they seem to survive to tell the tale, so yes it's safe.

Nearest game reserve from Jhb is Pilanesberg, about 2.5 hours' drive away and then of course you can drive/fly to Kruger. I don't do wildlife myself so can't offer any pertinent advice but I'm sure others will.

You can hire a car and GPS and drive yourself.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

Hello, there is lots to see and do. I am thinking you would like to take the children on safari. Then look at Jacis Safari Lodge, no malaria and they love children. (not all lodges take children). Spend 3 nights safari, then Sun City is close by, spend 2 nights there. Joburg 2 nights, visit the local sights, the children will enjoy Lesedi Cultural Village for the singing and dancing and the Hominid museum at STerkfontein/Maropeng at the Cradle of Humankind. Visit also the Monkey Sanctuary - children love this place. Then 5 nights in Cape Town.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

And, to answer your question: Joburg is safe, but i suggest you rather hire a guide, there are some areas which are not safe, just as in any city around the world. Sandton is a very safe area to stay as well, look at Garden Court, Holiday Inn in Sandton for good value.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree tours and Safaris

City of Gold
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

JHB is a beautiful and safe place, very modern and since its your first time, its best you get a trasfer to get a feel of the area before you can drive, we drive on the left side of the road. Safari's you can go to are in the NorthWest, Pilanesburg near the famous Sun City is a pleasure, there are plenty registered and safe tour guides in the area. You can also visit the Kruger National Park,. Good luck and enjoy, be sire to visit the coastal cities too, Cape Town or Durban, they are gems.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

Thanks for your helpful advices. What is the best way to go from Jnb to cape Town? How much it costs?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

Johannesburg to Cape Town, you have four options.

Self drive, fly, train, or bus.

Which is best for you, depends on your preference, the amount of time you have, and your budget.

Cost depends on which option you choose.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 16:48
7. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 17:05
Edited: 27 August 2013, 17:05
8. Re: Questions about Johannesburg ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:21