We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

I see a lot of references to “malls” in Johannesburg. Are these Mall perhaps outdoor areas with local shops and restaurants? In the US they are enclosed shops and a food court that close at 10pm. Just trying to understand the concept of a “Mall”. We are looking for outdoor unique shops and restaurants, vs the US version with the same chain shops and food courts.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

Exactly the same as in your country, but of course, the shops and restaurants are local, or local "chains" naturally, although one does come across some that are international.

i think the concept was originally imported from the USA..

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

There is a bit of a trend towards incorporating a so-called "piazza" onto a mall, or making the mall itself a bit more "outdoorsy" - the Zone in Rosebank, Irene Village Mall between the airport and Pretoria, Melrose Arch and Mandela Square all come to mind, to varying degrees. Sadly, most of the restaurants are local chains as are most of the shops. The Zone and Irene Mall both have a couple of independent outlets selling (hopefully) local stuff. Regenerated urban spaces like 44 Stanley, Newtown and Maboneng may offer something closer to what you are looking for but I have to confess I've not visited any of them myself - or in one case, not for a long time. Maybe someone else who has done so could comment. Also look at the Bryanston Organic Market - market stalls not shops, elementary "restaurant" facilities and open only two mornings a week, but unique shopping guaranteed.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 07:12
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

Although Malls will look similar to yours in the US, most will also have local, unique boutiques that you can buy the unique items and eat in unique restaurants that you require.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

An a lot are outdoors too.

At Waterfall estate (Midrand, Johannesburg) the biggest in Africa will be build, but I thinks this one will a closed one. But opens somewhere in 2014.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

Hello, Some of the malls, the larger ones are enclosed with the food courts inside, however, Sandton City which is where i would recommend has a section which, from the shopping area, leads out onto the Nelson Mandela Square which has open air restaurants, and i might add, some of the finest restaurants, like the Butcher Shop and Grill, (best steak in SA) and Montego Bay (Great seafood, oysters) then the Michelangelo Hotel is on the other side of the square, which you walk over to the entrance. You dont have to stay at this hotel, because just over the road is the Garden Court West street, and on the other side is the Garden Court Katherine Street Hotel.

Melrose Arch is similar with outdoor restaurants and shops with the Melrose Arch Hotel, but it is smaller and not quite to centre.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

In Soweto Township there are also great outdoor restaurants which offer great African cuisines. You might as well combine that with a day or night tour of Soweto Township.

Nathan Ngwenya

(Soweto Voyage - Owner)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

We just returned from SA and our tour had us one night at the Michelangelo. It is a very very nice hotel. The Sandton City and Nelson Mandela malls are very upscale places (dripping with Gucci and Tiffany,etc.) We did wander into the Butcher Shop for dinner and I will agree that it was spectacularly good, one of the best meals we had on our trip. And for us Americans, it was dirt cheap as well. Highly recommend it if you are in that area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

In central Joburg there is outdoor style shopping. But this can be a bit daunting to attempt yourself. However there are many tour operators that can take you to the shopping district.

Arts on Main on a Sunday in Maboneng will be where you'll find more unique items at the market upstairs. Close by on Kruger street is a place that sells mostly Joburg themed items. This area is buzzing with people on a Sunday and is quite safe, however driving into the location can be a little worrying.

Jo'burg - SA
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

Similar to what you have at home.... For an out door space, try The Maboneng precinct, Newtown, 44 Stanley, 4th avenue in Parkhurst... These areas are mainly for food and hangout, all great areas where locals actually hang out.

10. Re: I see reference to "malls" in certain areas of Johannesburg.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:15