We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport switch- enough time?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kampala, Uganda
4 posts
Save Topic
Airport switch- enough time?

Hello!

My friends and I are landing at JNB at 12:20pm. We are trying to save money, so we booked an economy flight out of Lanseria at 4:25pm that day. So, we'll have four hours to get to our next flight.

On the other end of the trip, we are landing in Lanseria at 7:55am and our next flight leaves JNB at 10:55am. That gives us three hours.

Does anyone have insight for this? Will we have enough time?

Bloemfontein, South...
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

It is a 58km drive from O.R Tambo (Jnb) Airport to Lanseria. Depending on the traffic, it will take you about a hour to drive or take a taxi.

Kampala, Uganda
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

Thank you! Do you think we'll have enough time to clear customs in JNB? We're landing at 12:20pm; does anyone know if that's going to be a congested time at customs, or if it should be less crowded?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to check out of SA on our flight out of the country?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

It takes about 1 hour to drive between OR Tambo and Lanseria.

It takes roughly 1 hour, between landing, and emerging land side off an international flight at OR Tambo ( retrieve luggage, customs and immigration/passport control).

It is necessary to check in about 1 hour before a local flight, and about 2 hours before a departing international flight.

I would advise allowing at least an extra 10% margin, for unexpected delays, traffic, etc.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

I don't think you'll have a problem on the day you arrive but imo you don't really have a sufficient margin on the day you leave: 1) you only have three hours; 2) you need to check in two hours prior to departure if it's an international flight - I don't know what leniency, if any, would be shown; 3) traffic will be heavy at that time of the day.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
841 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

I have to agree with the last post about the day you leave. Last time we had a flight out at 10.50 in the morning we left our guesthouse in Bryanston (normally a 20 min drive) at 7.30 but we nearly missed our flight because of the traffic conditions. Of course luck might be with you and it all works out.

Kampala, Uganda
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Kampala, Uganda
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

Just to follow up- we made it in plenty of time. We hired a taxi at OR Tambo, and got to Lanseria with plenty of time to spare! It's a small (and awesome- free tea!) airport, and check-in took very little time. On the other side, our flight from Cape Town landed a bit earlier than expected, and we got a taxi driver at Lanseria who took us a back way to the airport. We checked in and had time to look around a bit in the duty-free shops.

If there had been traffic either way, it would have been much tighter- but it worked for us! Thanks for all your help.

8. Re: Airport switch- enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 06:20