We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Hi,

I would like to know the cheapest way from Joh to Kruger. Also is it possible to go from Joh to the panoramic route than kruger ?

Many thanks

Abdallah

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Panoramic route is along a piece of the kruger park, so travel througt Kruger and do then the Panoramic route.

The best way to travel is to hire a car, so you will be free.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 06:35
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Thanks for your reply.

How much does it cost to hire a car ? The problem is I'm going through kruger national park for 3 days in a private reserve game.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

FYI:

Private reserves are not Kruger National Park.

They are just what they call themselves ... Private.

simply put, Kruger National Park is a National Park, essentially run by the government on behalf of the people of South Africa.

Many of the private reserves are "contiguous" with the Kruger National Park, ( most on the western border of KNP) and have removed intervening fences, so animals may roam free, but there is a definite distinction between Private and National.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Too late to edit:

Car hire is very variable.

It is not possible to give a definite answer to your query on the cost of car hire.

It depends on the package offered by the company, the type of car you want...2X4 4X4, size, auto or manual, etc etc.

The different companies offer different packages, so the best is to make inquiries with the various hire companies

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Hi abdelaa,

Hiring a car is really the most flexible and cheapest option for you. Like Gavin said, the Panorama Route is a route that which runs more or less from South to North and the opposite. Its is in close proximity to Kruger and the many private reserves that border the Kruger National Park. Doing the Panorama Route properly requires the best part of a full day. Their are various waterfalls, look outs, as well the Blyde River Canyon which is the 3rd largest in the world, Bourkes Luck Potholes, Pilgrims Rest which is a historic mining town to see along the route.

What private game reserve/lodge are you going to?

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Thank you very much for your help.

I still didn't make my reservation but I'm thinking of Elephant plains.

What is your opinion on this private game reserve ?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Hi Abdallah,

Elephant Plains is a very nice value for money lodge. Its probably close to the cheapest private lodge you will find in the Sabi Sands and the Greater Kruger area. The rooms are very nice and spacious, and the game viewing is generally very good.

I can't remember when you mentioned you were planning your trip for, but it is advisable to book as early as possible especially at Elephant Plains which is normally booked up well in advance.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Hello, the cheapest way to get fromJoburg to Kruger is to use Ashtons. They run a good service and it is well priced. If you book in advance then if you are the first to book on that trip, they will do the Panorama Route. This way you can see the scenery and still arrive at your lodge.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Thank you very much for your help Lyn.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from Joh to Kruger national park

Hi Brett,

Which private game lodge you suggest between Elephant plains , Goma Goma and Africa on foot ?