We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

We are flying into JNB on BA and onwards to Zimbabwe that day. As we have just under 4 hours between flights I am looking for a lounge with showers we can pay for as we can't use the BA lounge at JNB this time :-(

What I am struggling with is I am not sure if we stay airside or not as we are in transit. Last time I flew through JNB was on the way to Maun a few years ago and we had to clear immigration and re-checkin both ways, but I have a vague recollection of this changing not long after we travelled and you no longer have to go through immigration. I am not sure of this is the same for connections to Zim so any advice on the transit process these days would also be welcome!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

You will stay in transit, as ZIM is not a domestic destination .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Bidvest lounges at ORT provide shower facilities for travellers for both domestic and international areas. Cash and Online rate - R269 for up to 3 hours visit to international lounge. See link bidvestlounge.co.za/Forms/LoungesMatrix.aspx

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Thank you both for the info. The Bidvest lounges look perfect for our needs.

I am aware that Zim is not a domestic destination, but when we flew to Botswana we had to clear immigration and customs, leave the airside area and head to terminal B of international and re-check. I was just wondering if this is still the case or there is now a transit area so we never actually enter SA via immigration and customs etc. I think maybe we will now stay airside but as Bidvest has a lounge in international B we should be able to access it.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Sometimes it depends what airlines you are flying with. Some airline combinations will check your luggage all the way through and others won't.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Flying to Botswana, you don't have to clear immigration, you can have your luggage checked through and go through the transit lane, certainly with BA and changing to Air Botswana. Even though BA ticket separately they have an arrangement with Air Bots that allows them to check your bags all the way through. You then go to the Air Botswana desk in the transit area to collect your boarding card for the Air Botswana flight. Perhaps you weren't aware of this arrangement, but it is possible.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

Thanks SG, I think that arrangement came into effect a few weeks after we visited Bots (April 2010) but I couldn't remember if I'd dreamt reading about it. We haven't flown through JNB since but BA's abandonment of the Lusaka route has forced me back through JNB for a trip later this summer to Mana Pools - thanks to BA the trip is now two nights longer (in Harare) and considerably more expensive as the JNB route is more expensive

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

The arrangement was definitely in force in October 2009. I think many people don't realise they can do it because the tickets are separate. I think sometimes the BA check in staff ask where your final destination is, and offer the option, but maybe they don't all the time.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

It was probably because we were flying on a Lufthansa/SAA codeshare and not BA.

9. Re: In transit JNB to Harare...need a shower!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18