We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JNB to Sandton

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
JNB to Sandton

In April my flight lands at JNB around 5 PM. I am staying at the Hilton on Rivonia Road in Sandton and wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation on the best way to get to my hotel. The hotel said that I could get a taxi for ZAR 660. I see that there is a train from JNB and it is 110 ZAR. The Sandton station appears to be about 5-6 blocks from the hotel, but after clearing customs I probably won't be able to get on the train until after 6 PM or later. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or other options for getting from the airport?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JNB to Sandton

David C, I hope it's okay if I add a question here, since it is similar. We are a family of 5, including kids, going to a guest house in Melrose at about 11 AM. If those of you answering David's questions know, I'd much appreciate some help too! Would the train be better or a taxi? I'm not sure of costs. Thx

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JNB to Sandton

The Gautrain join.gautrain.co.za is an option for both of you. All details, maps, fares etc are on the website. It is also in the ludicrous position of being Jhb's #2 "attraction" on TA (a questionable petting zoo being #1), so if you want to trawl through the reviews you may find additional tips.

David C, yes the Hilton is about six blocks from the Sandton station but you may not want to shorten the life of your luggage on the pavements. Plus which by April it will be dark by about 6:30. If you do want to walk it, go up West Street and along Maud rather than along Rivonia - it's busier. Just be VERY careful crossing Rivonia Road if there is still much in the way of traffic - Sandton drivers always assume they have right of way.

A Gautrain bus is an alternative - one of them (Rivonia route?) goes down Rivonia Road. Otherwise, stupid as it sounds for a short distance, a taxi from the station.

Rbtrippers, you would take the train to Rosebank (change at Sandton). Not sure what your alternatives are thereafter. Perhaps your guesthouse would meet you at the station?

3. Re: JNB to Sandton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:17