We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Mexico City, Mexico
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Hello,

I´ve been reading in many forums and websites the places I should avoid during my stay in the city. But I will be traveling alone this summer to Johannesburg and I don´t know in which area should I stay. I´m 18 so what I am looking for is the safest area of ​​the city and also the most touristic. Also, as I will not be renting a car, I would want an area where I can commuting to the city easily either by train or taxi.

Thanks.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Well you are from Mexico, so you have the the sencenses of danger , ....

But were do you like to go in the city. You can also stay in the suburbs, like Rosebank, melville and not really in the city center

Edited: 05 March 2014, 06:16
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Hi Patricio, I'd look at staying in either Sandton or Rosebank, public transport wise this is definitely the most convenient and also most touristy, however the student community is more around Melville area, if you wanted to go out etc. In Johannesburg the normal metro train is not really an advisable mode of transport. Best for transport is to use the following:

- Gautrain, this connects the Airport with Pretoria, Rosebank, Sandton and Parktown.

So if you want to do things like the HOHO bus it is easy to jump on the train to Parktown and catch the bus for a city tour. The Gautrain also has a bus network around the stations.

- Taxis. We usually use Zebra cabs without any problems

- Lastly the new integrated bus transport system: Rea Vaya. althought these don't really cover tourist areas and I don't know how reliable this is.

- For visits to Soweto, apartheid museum, goldreef city, cradle of humankind, it is best to take organized tours.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Apartheid museum, goldreef city can be done from the HOHO bus - Soweto from the HOHO bus extenstion. www.citysightseeing.co.za/joburg‎

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Thanks Lamlee, I didn't know that.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Thank you all for your comments! They have helped me a lot. What I want to do in the city is to know the city, its museums, shops...etc basically sightseeing . But I want to stay in the safest and touristic area. So then, Sandton or Rosebank are the best places to stay? I would definitely take the Hop On- Hop Off, but unfortunately i saw I have to take it in the city, either in the Gautrain Park Statin or Gold Reef City Theme Park. Is there a bus, train or something that would take from Sandton/ Rosebank to either those places?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

Take the Gautrain, from either Rosebank, or Sandton, to the Gautrain Park Station (inner city).

From there you take the Ho Ho Bus.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

I would suggest staying in Sandton, as it is easy to get to and from the airport via the Gautrain. It is also slightly more touristy than Rosebank because of Nelson Mandela Square (however neither destination is that touristy).

Definitely get the HOHO bus Park station, but be careful of the times and plan your trip out in advance so you don't end up somewhere after the last bus, particularly if you want to stop at the Apartheid museum which will easily take 2 hours to go through). The bus and the areas it visits are reasonably safe. The only spot that is difficult is the Carlton Centre, but the HOHO bus has people there to help you. If you decide to do the Soweto extension, then this is probably another half day. The above is based on if you actually get off the bus and look around and not just stay on the bus.

The other option for getting to know the city is to look up Joburg Places walking tours through. I've done this and they are fantastic and will give you a lot of background and history. They aren't regular, so you will need to google the website and see if a tour corresponds with your dates.

As a final note I did the all of my touristy stuff when I first arrived alone, and had no problem. Just be aware of your surroundings!

Edited: 06 March 2014, 08:34
8. Re: Traveling alone through Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg