We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bena
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Hi travelling to South Africa to volunteer for a month, I was wondering if I can bring in some processed Beef Jerky (made in New Zealand) through customs or will they confiscate it ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Yes sandmans the Biltong shop is accessible from outside , wont start WW3, and before I get dissed again, hub loves it.He bought there ( and people knock Vegemite ) !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Obviously you have your reasons to buy at the airport yes you can.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Thanks guys, apologies for question.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Is totally valid, personally hate the stuff lol~. his nibs likes so we go via the Biltong shop,~~

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Not quite sure where you are volunteering, but if it is far away, which I assume it is, I am sure they will stop somewhere along the way where you can buy stuff and go to the loo etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

I think the Ops solution solved lamlee.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Plenty shops at OR Tambo sell biltong. The jerky sold in Oz is pretty ordinary and horrifically expensive. Most biltong in RSA far superior and a variety of meats to choice from. I reckon SkeetBena is having a lend of TA readers :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

If you read the post the OP was talking about beef jerky made in NZ so what has it got to do with Australian jerky .........nothing !

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

Wow... touchy! Thread title says jerky is being brought from Oz. I know meat imports into Oz are banned so how does NZ stuff get in? Anyway, i have plenty experience of jerky/biltong made in Oz and RSA and rate SA stuff as vastly superior. I've made my own biltong often... including kangeroo. Roo is far too gamey and def NOT recommended. Springbok and Eland my favourites although beef tong outsells venison option by miles in RSA.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Can I bring in Beef Jerky from Australia

It is allowed to be imported and I quote "The newly permitted items include mayonnaise, beef jerky and various dairy items." Australian Government Quarantine Amendment Proclamation 2012

How do you think we have Italian Salamis, Proscuitto, Chorizo and processed meats from all over Europe and other places and yes we even have your ''superior '' Biltong. So meat imports are not banned quite obviously.