We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Hi, My sister and I are traveling to SA next week, April 10-20. We will be in Kruger 16-19 and will drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg on the 19th, our flight home is the 20th so we have plenty of time for the drive. How long of a drive is it and is it difficult? We want to sightsee along the way, where can we find out info on where to stop along the way? Thank you!!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Dear Spiceyvic,

The drive back from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg can take you up to 6.5-7 hours with a short stop. Probably best to do the panoramic route back from Origstad side toward Graskop Town and then nearby Graskop is Pilgrims Rest which you can search and read more about.. From here you drive towards Dullstroom where you can also stop off and see some the curio shops in a small town. From here you are +- 3 hours from Johannesburg. A higly recommended accommodation in Johannesburg is Aloe Lane Guest Lodge! Just type in google map and it should help you to get a better idea of the best route to take from Hoedspruit.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

My suggestion might not include Hoedspruit at all. Which gate will you use to exit Kruger? Orpen? If so, I suggest staying the night of the 19th in Graskop (Hotel Graskop a good one) and using it as a base for a drive along the Panorama Route. From Hoedspruit On the 20th, just drive west about 25 miles to the R36, take it down to the N4 and drive toward Johannesburg. The N4 will branch off to the northwest, but you stay on the N12. Watch for Exit 429. To Pretoria and ORTambo airport. That will take off the N12 and on to the R21. Just follow the signs and you will reach the airport in about 10 minutes.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 16:00
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Totally depends on what time your flight is on 20th as from Graskop or even Sabie it is +- 4-4.5 hours drive back to Johannesburg. However I like the idea of which Dave suggested as you need to really admire the whole panoramic route which will take you almost the whole day and it is definitely worth every cent!

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Thank you very much! We are picking up our rental car from the airport at Hoedspruit so we will be driving from there regardless, can we still do these routes you are speaking of? We don't even have to be in Johannesburg until our flight home (late on the 21st) so we can actually cancel our hotel there on the 20th and travel around to these places you suggest.

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

And I should say that we are staying at Balule Nature reserve in Kruger so not sure how that relates to the Panarama route?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Yes, I would say if you leave by 9am from Balule you should be able to see the following attractions along the Panoramic Route.

1. Three Rondawels

2. Blyde River Canyon - Between here and Bourkes Lucky Potholes on the left is a dirt road that takes you to a bush restaurant overlooking the Blyde River if you are keen to stop off for a quick bite and refreshment.

3. Bourkes Lucky Potholes

4. Berlin Falss

5. Lisbon Falls

6. You would need to look for a sign saying God's Window just not too sure if you would need to back track a little or if it is further on as I normally do this route the other way however it very close to Lisbon Falls where you will need to take the loop on your left from the R532 travelling towards Graskop. This loop will take you to God's Window and the Pinnacle however make sure you do some serious walking up the pathways at God's Window as this is very special.

As for accommodation I normally stay at Lone Creek River Lodge which is in Sabie. They will definitely be able to assist you should you book here with the following day on the 2oth to perhaps see Lone Creek Falls, Bridal Vlei, Mac Mac Pools, Mac Mac Falls, Forest falls, Pilgrims Rest...

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

Thank you so much African Safari Guru! Leaving Thursday for Cape Town, coming from Virginia in US. Can't wait to see you beautiful part of the world!

8. Re: Drive from Hoedspruit to Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:16